Crazy Rides

At lunch, somehow the empty place of Ajabdeh, who had skipped it, and the questioning eyes of the mothers, Heer, Shakti and Sau disturbed Pratap. He ate half-heartedly as Heer looked at Shakti who was equally worried. Sau decided to break the silence.

"Mausi." She addressed Hansa, "Chaks and I have an ultra-sonography appointment today, after that, we will meet Rukaiya and Jalal for an early dinner."

"Yes Beta, all of you are leaving early tomorrow." Jaivanta nodded.

"As for you two Ranima," Heer spoke up, "We are leaving a nurse, Kaka knows all your medicines, so none of you dares to skip them, Aapa has informed her friend Dr Meher of your routine checkup and the driver will be here..."

"It's all right! " Hansa stopped her. "It's just a week." 

"Ranima is not well." Heer frowned.

"Hansa, kaisi samajhdar bahu hai meri" Jaivanta smiled as Heer's frown disappeared in awkwardness and Shakti spotted Patta unmindfully playing with his food as he added "And we are leaving behind a caretaker too."

"Who?" Chaks asked, a little surprised.

"Patta!"Shakti chuckled, making Patta shout "Mausi!" 

"Am done." Pratap got up and left, silencing the crowd.

Ajabdeh had just finished packing for Surajgarh. The thought of going back to that palace had mixed feelings. On one hand, there was this long chain of memories that included him and on the other was a home, she always loved to go to. Their parents always made sure they were attached to their roots. Even with their hectic schedules and fast lives in Delhi, they needed to spend Holi and Diwali at Surajgarh, with its people. Since Udai Uncle died all those had stopped. Firstly because the boys left, then because they moved away. Ajabdeh suddenly realised how lonely Ranima had become in Delhi. Maybe that deteriorated her health. She frowned in worry as a knock shook her.

"Come in?"

"Jija what did you do?" Heer's question made her look a little wide-eyed and guilty. Did he tell Choti? 

"I don't know what you said or did." Heer stopped her. "Dadabhai is hurt, Jija. Can't you see that when we can?"

"Choti, he must have personal problems, why are you..." She tried to shake it off.

"He never had anything personal except you, and you of all people should know that Jija." Heer walked away showing disappointment clearly as Ajabdeh gulped down a lump. Taking a deep breath she looked around. Where was Brownie?

Brownie loved to grab and fetch no matter what time it was. The roof was a perfect peaceful spot. The stars in the clear night sky, the moonlight, the cool calm breeze. Pratap sat down on a garden chair in a corner, his back to the door, as he let Brownie play fetch with a ball.

Brownie jumped and wagged his tail in joy, running behind the ball. He had finally learned to fetch. As a puppy he used to run behind the ball, making them laugh as he couldn't grab it.

Ajabdeh walked up to the roof in her search for "Brownie?" Her voice made him stand up, ball in hand, as he was ready to leave but Brownie blocked his way.

"Brow..." Ajabdeh stopped at the door spotting Pratap with the ball in hand and Brownie wagging his tail like it would fall off.

"Not now Brownie, maybe tomorrow." He patted the dog without looking at her.

"It's okay, he wants to play." She turned to leave. Brownie caught the end of her palazzo and pulled her towards the roof.

"No Brownie, I have a lot of work, not now Baby, play with..."