Reunion

Some 20KMs from the City of Udaipur.

A farmhouse in one of the posh neighbourhoods was decorated for a wedding. Flowers, lights and colourful drapes decked up the place. Arches were made, with roses in white and pink and purple drapes hung from the arches on either side; people were running about their chores as the guests were starting to arrive. The main entrance led to a fountain and lawn, and the open area of the garden was where the wedding mandap was soon to be set up. On entering through the gate there was a porch leading up the steps to the house. In the house, one could see a large hall being set up for the Sangeet and the spiral stairs leading to the rooms where the guests and hosts were accommodated. Adjacent to the hall were a large dining area and a small office. Behind the farmhouse were a small parking lot and an open ground.

Ajabdeh Punwar

The nameplate was of the one who was known to be Udaipur's first big female entrepreneur, a self-made woman on her rights. She was an ordinary girl from a middle-class background with a small family business in Udaipur about two decades back. Her father was also a small-time partner at the famous Sisodia Enterprises owned by the famous Udai Singh Sisodia who was his college friend. The Sisodias were the Royal family of a small village area called Surajgarh. They had a Haveli and various social works there. RamRakh's parents used to work under Udai Singh's father and hence they were friends from Surajgarh to their college life and expanded it to a business association in Delhi.

Ramrakh after Udai's untimely death had shifted his business to Udaipur, separated from the previous partnership for better profit. After he passed away, she had in these three years single-handedly taken up the family business and made it the largest import-export house in the city. She was now the man of the house.

"She made all these by herself?" One relative asked, astonished, with a hint of jealousy.

"Yes of course, ever since her father died three years back my daughter had been a rock to us all." Her mother said proudly. Hansa Bai, in her early fifties, was in a simple yet elegant pink saree, ready to welcome the guests and play host.

"That's all fine but don't you think it's wrong to get the younger one married first?" The question made the smile fade. "After all she is not your own..." a whisper followed.

"Heer and Patta are as much my own as her." She protested firmly. "Since my sister's demise, they have been with me. Patta was a newborn and Heer was not even four then. How can they not be my children?"

"Ohho Aunty!!" A boy about seventeen years old, in baggy jeans and a grey t-shirt came to his Mausi's rescue. " Jija wanted this. She is so talented with the business, that's her priority now! She can get married whenever she wants to! Will there be a lack of grooms ready to marry her if she wants to herself?" The smirk on his face made Hansa smile faintly.

"Patta! Stop interrupting elders!" He grinned at the annoyed relatives. "Don't you have chores?"

A black Jaguar stopped at the porch. A tall man in his late twenties walked out of it in Beige Pants and a Light blue tee. with a woman in a white and red Karachi-style salwar suit. The first thing you notice about him is his hazel eyes and her simple elegant calmness.

"Mausi?" He smiled. "Adaab Mausi. Patta. How are you, man?" He hugged the boy.

" Jalal. So good you have arrived early! Rukaiya, I am glad you came along." Hansa smiled and hugged the lady.

"Now that the Nikah is done, she has to come with me everywhere!" Jalal's serious tone made Patta chuckle as Rukaiya gave him a cold stare.

"I wanted to come. This is my friend's house too!" She retorted to her husband.