Chapter 39: The Captain's Daughter

Start from the beginning

The siblings grinned to see Teague again after what happened during the meeting one adventure ago. Suddenly, footsteps could be heard behind them. "There she is... I'll get her for running my baby girl's bonnet over..."

It was the same man who witnessed Vi and Matthew riding through the city while standing on top of the flaming carriages. But another shot was heard and the man fell to the floor, dead. "FIlthy man, trying to go after my wife. She's a brave one, I'll give her that."

Vi whipped her head around to face her husband, once more. He now wore a top that was unbuttoned halfway, showing that chest she loved to lay her head on. His long silver hair had small braids, each held stable by beads. He wore a bandana around his forehead, and his captain's hat, of course, was on. "Hello, my love."

"I thought you'd left for the Demon World with the guys and Breanna."

Yoko smirked and walked to her, holding her chin gently to make her look up at him. "Why would I, when you're here now?"

The group watched with a smirk as the fox man kissed his vixen, making sure she remembered why he loved her. Not only for her attitude but for everything that was in front of him. They pulled away and smiled. Vi's smile quickly faded as she held her tummy. "Now, I'm hungry."

Maisie giggled. "Of course you are. You Taurus."

...

Inside, it was filled with ruffians, highwaymen, drunkards, barmaids, and painted ladies. Jack and Teague huddled in a corner with the six siblings and the fox demon. "Heard you were putting together a crew," Teague said.

"If enough people keep saying it, it must be true," Jack replied.

Teague noticed a new dangle in Jack's hair. "Is that your tooth?" he asked.

"Broke it. Swallowed it. Sifted it. Retrieved it. Polished it. Fashion."

Maisie and Vi shared looks of disgust. Yoko's ears perked up and they slouched again, showing a sign of disgust. They haven't seen something like that before on him! Not ever! Matthew sighed and banged his head against the table once, not caring if there was a bruise. "Heard where you were headed. The Fountain," Teague added.

"You've been there."

"Does this face look like it's been to the Fountain of Youth?"

"Depends on the light."

Vi, Maisie, and Yoko shared a laugh, high-fiving each other. "Son. The Fountain. There be items required, for the profane ritual. Two Chalices."

"On the map. There was a Chalice," Ryan butted in.

Taylor nodded, remembering seeing one. "Two Chalices. Silver. From Ponce de Leon's ship. You need 'em both," Teague explained.

"Ayo. Quick question. Who's that?" Vi asked.

"Ponce de León was a Spanish explorer and conquistador known for leading the first official European expedition to Florida and for serving as the first governor of Puerto Rico," Yoko explained.

Maisie looked at the fox man in shock, as did Teague. "For?" Anthony asked, drinking his horchata.

"The ritual! Don't be a fool! Find out the ritual, every detail, before you set sail," Teague replied.

Jack seemed interested. "Set sail? Love to. For that, I'd need a ship."

"Those folk. Over there. They have a ship," Teague replied.

At the far end of the room, next to an inner door, playing with a mandola slung around his neck, was Scrum. A line of sailor-types waited in front of him. "And Jackie. One last thing. The Fountain will test you, mark my words."

Jack nodded and took a long drink. He turned back to Teague, who wasn't there anymore. Maisie's eyes widened as she almost choked on her tea. Vi mouthed "Must be a spirit," which earned her a nod. Across the room, Scrum finished an impressive lick, and Jack suddenly appeared behind him, knife to his throat. "I hear you be recruiting a crew," he said.

Maisie and Vi shared a malicious grin. "No, girls. No violence. Vi, you and Matthew already wrecked up the streets of London," Anthony whispered.

"But- violence is fun," Maisie whispered in return.

Yoko nodded quickly, his fox tail wagging at the sound of violence. "Aye. That is, Jack Sparrow is putting together a modest venture. You've some nerve, showing up here dressed like that," Scrum said.

"Don't you know who I am?"

"Hey! Here's some bloke who forgot his name!"

Doors to the inner room opened as a young pirate named Derrick burst out proudly. "I'm in, boys! Who'll buy a sailor a drink?" he called.

The pirates in line congratulated him. Jack stepped forward and noticed light spilling out of the room, and a tall shadow cast on the opposite wall. All the teenagers looked to see a silhouette in the form of Jack Sparrow. Jack tilted his head, admiring. He tried to see around the corner, then he leaped out and into the room. "Where's he going?" Yoko asked.

"Who knows?" Anthony put in.

"That person. It must be someone... Someone he knows. Should we follow him and see?" Matthew asked.

"Observe," everyone said, clinking flasks together.