Chapter Forty Two

Start from the beginning

"It's okay. Just take a deep breath, okay?" He coaches, gently running his fingers along my back. "In and out. In and out."

It takes a minute, but soon my breath evens out and I can feel myself start to calm down a bit. Everything about Tanner feels safe, and especially with my physical home in shambles, he feels a bit like an emotional home.

"I promise, everything is going to be okay. I thought we were over this with James, but I'll talk to him again and make sure it's straightened out. I'm so sorry. I have no idea what's gotten into him..." Tanner chokes up.

I shake my head, clutching the ring in my hand. "It wasn't James, Tanner." My voice is hardly above a whisper.

"What do you mean? How do you...?"

I open my hand, showing the ring to Tanner.

"What is this?" He takes it, holding it in his fingers as his brow furrows.

My mind feels like a hurricane as I try to sort through the words. "An engagement ring. I found it by my bed."

"Like the robber left it?"

I let out a sharp laugh. "Yeah. That's kind of ironic, isn't? What kind of robber doesn't take anything but leaves this behind?"

Maybe making a joke of it will make it seem less heavy.

"Have you ever seen it before?" He asks, still trying to piece everything together.

I nod. "On a beach in South Africa. When I gave it back to..."

"Zane." We both say at the same time.

Tanner clenches his jaw, anger pulsing through his veins as he hands the ring back to me. "You really think he's capable of doing something like this?"

"I didn't at first, but there's no other explanation. I haven't seen this ring in months and the last time I did was when I gave it back to him." I sniffle, wiping at my tears. Right now, I'm more embarrassed than anything. How could I have been such a fool? How could I let him play me this way? "I really thought he was just here for the job. I really wanted to believe that, but there are just too many coincidences now."

"What do you mean, coincidences?" Tanner's demeanor is so stoic that it's almost scary as he starts to collect all the facts. Especially after our conversation earlier, I can't hold anything back anymore.

"A bunch of little things since he's been back that I tried to brush off. Someone left flowers and coffee on my car. I thought I saw his car in front of my house once. And then the other day, when Lucas mentioned that he recognized Zane... I don't know. The thought crossed my mind, but when James told us that he was the one who threw the brick, I just kind of wrote it all off. But... but maybe I shouldn't have. I don't know how I could have been so stupid."

I bury my head in my hands to cover my tears, the shame almost too much. Saying it out loud makes it even worse. Of course, I should have paid more attention. Of course, I never should have underestimated him. And now look where we are.

"It's not stupid, Zoe." Tanner lets out a breath, running his fingers through his hair. "I know how it feels to want to see the best in someone, but we can't ignore this now. You know that, right? We need to tell the police."

"I know. I know we can't ignore it, but maybe I should try to talk to him first. This doesn't seem like him and maybe..."

"Zoe, you can't be serious." His voice gets louder. "The bastard broke into your house, and who knows what would have happened if you'd been here? I think we're past the point of talking. He's stalking you, and there isn't a chance in hell I want him within a hundred yards of you while you're alone." Tanner swallows. "We can either tell Ruiz about this, or I'll handle Zane myself."

There isn't an ounce of hesitation in Tanner's threat, and it makes my heart skip. It's ominous. It's chilling. But it's oddly comforting. I've never had a man so willing to defend me and even though I feel so wildly out of control right now, Tanner's presence is grounding.

"We can tell him." I agree, not wanting this to escalate even more. "But what am I supposed to do about work? It's not like I can avoid him there."

"Ruiz will take care of it, okay?" He presses a kiss to my forehead. "You don't have to worry about Zane anymore. We'll take care of it."

I want to believe him, but I'm not so sure. I'm not sure about anything Zane related anymore.

After a few more minutes, Tanner leaves and I quickly pack a bag. I can't stand to be here anymore, as if knowing that Zane was in here somehow makes it even worse. It's an even deeper betrayal, and it's got me on edge. I guess seeing me with Tanner the other day was more than he could take, and if he's capable of breaking into my house like this, what else might he do?