iv. Once Again a Certain Archangel Makes a Visit

Castiel unlocks the front door of the Gas 'n Sip, breathing in the familiar smell of packages and day-old farts. Sighing, he slips inside and turns on the neon light to let everyone know that they're open.

He hums under his breath as he starts up the slush machine, amazed to hear the bell jingling already to alert them of a new customer. Before he can turn around, however, a gentle hand is on his shoulder.

"I'll have a pack of menthols and some beef jerky." The deep voice - Dean, commands, before: "Hey, Cas."

Castiel straightens up, slightly disappointed with the fact that he has to look up at Dean. "Hello, Dean, what're you doing here?"

"Just grabbing what I want, y'know," he replies, and Cas nods.

"Oh, alright, I'm just working on the slush machine then I'll be able to assist you."

"Sure, sure." Dean absently replies, wandering around the store whispering, "What do I want, what do I want?"

Cas is bent over the slushie machine too far to notice Dean come up behind him, and he doesn't hear him start talking either, until a hand slaps Castiel's rear-end.

"Dean!" he shouts, rearing around; the man is laughing manically, all while keeping a subtle smile on his face.

"Can I ass you a question?" he laughs a bit more before tapering off. "Sorry, Cas, I had to."

"Why?"

"You told me to find what I want."

Castiel huffs, before laughing a bit too. "That's holy ground, y'know."

Dean shows his teeth in this smile, "Well then forgive me father for I have sinned."

"That's awful." Cas remarks, still smiling though. If only Dean knew.

"That was comedy gold." Dean defends, picking up an energy drink to read the label. "Now this is awful."

Castiel turns back to tend to the machine, remarking, "Oh I know, it's all chemicals."

"No kidding. I can't even pronounce half of this crap." Dean places the can back on the shelf, "Then again, I was never good with science."

Castiel closes the slush machine's doors after restocking them, ready to strike up another conversation with Dean just as his phone buzzes. The man confusingly pulls it out, frowning at the screen, before holding it to his ear.

"Hello?" he asks, looking at Cas with a sorry face. Castiel nods, completely unphased by it. He can hear the entire conversation effortlessly, so he pretends to fix the shelf beside him.

"Hey, Dean, where are you?"

"Sammy? I'm-I'm at the store." He replies, still sounding confused. "Why?"

"Some asshat showed up at the motel, and asked for you. When I said you weren't here he-he did weird stuff." The person-Sam, takes a huge breath. "I swear to god he hit on me, and then just flew away!"

"Sam," Dean starts, "people don't just fly away."

Castiel frowns, swallowing hard. He's right, people don't, but angels do.

"What did this man look like?" Cas casually asks, leaning on Dean's shoulder slightly. Dean stiffens for a moment, before smiling so that Cas can't see him. But Castiel feels his soul glow a brighter colour that before, and he smiles to himself.

Sam must've heard him, because he immediately launches into a description, "Short little guy, blonde hair, kinda shaggy, these weird gold eyes. He introduced himself by saying that he'd brought the kielbasa I'd never ordered - wait, Dean, who's that?"