chapter 58: a cactus

*first person pov*

I wipe the dirt from my forehead, taking a deep breath and immediately regretting it later. Fertilizer does not smell as good as flowers.

"alright Darvyn I think that's the last of em." I take off my gloves, admiring the work I'd done. Darvyn handled the back of his house while I planted his flowers out front. And honestly if I ever get bored of the pirate gig, I could try gardening and be like Sam. 

I smile at the row of flowers in front of me. Sam would be proud.

Darvyn emerges from the back of his house. He pants and wipes the sweat off his brow. He skims over the flowers that sat besides the stairs to his porch, the flowers give the illusion as if his house was built on flower meadows. Lily was creative for thinking this up I'll admit.

Darvyn nods and gives me a shoulder pat of approval. "Looks great! Lily's gonna love it."

"Never really thought I'd have a knack for gardening."

"Definitely. Usually the things you plant always dies."

"oh shut up I still have one plant that is still alive for months."

"oh really? What is it?"

"A cactus." I smugly grin.

Darvyn slaps the back of my neck. "dumbass, if you couldn't take care of a cactus I'd be worried for you."

"but at least I have one plant that doesn't die on me." I point my glove-fistful hand to Darvyn.

"I'm praying on that thing's downfall." Darvyn plainly said. He looked at me up and down. "have you really not showered since last night? It's literally three o'clock. You look like a mess, you should go shower and change into fresh clothes." 

"wow that's such a nice way to tell me to get outta here." I squinted my eyes as I smile, my voice laced with sarcasm.

Darvyn grunts as he goes up the stairs. "I'm right, the only good thing is the fact that you don't smell."

"ugh you're right not gonna lie, I need a shower. I needed one ever since last night to be honest." I bleat about, setting down the gardening things on Darvyn's rack.

"no shit. Now go go go." Darvyn shoos me away from his porch. I shake my head with a smile as I descend down the stairs from his house.

"oh wait but are you busy tonight? If you aren't we'd love to have you for dinner." Darvyn asked.

"I think after running out on them after a lot of times, I think I should at least have dinner with Legolas and everyone tonight." I politely refused. "Although I could come tomorrow if you don't mind?"

"Of course not! and bring Legolas too in fact, bring everyone. Me and Lily are thinking having a feast with the whole neighborhood tomorrow, it'll be nice for them to meet their saviors who aren't exactly all humans besides you." Darvyn offered.

That would be a good thing for Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli to do. Unlike me they don't really get out of the halls that much. Especially Legolas and Gimli, they kinda are cooped up in the building without much interaction with the people. 

The only time Legolas went out was with me. But they all just arrived a day ago, it was fair they haven't gone out much so far. 

But Darvyn's invitation was a perfect opportunity to properly introduce them to the people without the people all being a drunken mess. 

Besides, I kinda miss how carefree we all were last night, it'd be fun to see Legolas attempt to get drunk again.

"yep we'll be there!" I shout as I walk away from Darvyn's house. On my way to a satisfying bath.