CHAPTER TWO

I was honestly a mess when we moved.

Things were hard. Between my grandmama fighting to live, having to make sure my mom's stress levels stayed low so she could have a safe delivery, and my dad falling apart because he was afraid to lose the only person who ever loved and took care of him as a child, things were hard.

I needed some way to destress. And that's when I found art.

By no way, am I talented or good, but it was nice to just walk out to the beach just minutes away, let my curly hair be free and just paint. Even if the end result was trash.

I guess there's only enough talent in my body for volleyball. But, I thought maybe if I took a class I could improve.

꙳ ✩ ꙳

The cushioned chair beneath my butt won't stop squeaking at every bounce of my leg, but I'm too jittery to stop or care. My art teacher has called the class her "honeybuns" about five times in the last half hour, and there's a coffee spot on her jean skirt and you'd miss it if you weren't paying attention, but I am.

I'm not a fan of big crowds unless it has to do with volleyball...or for food. I'll wait in a big crowd for food.

Maybe this bonfire isn't for me.

No one is forcing me to go, but I just feel like there might be some good in going. Ipo told me they play beach volleyball so I'll at least have fun there, and maybe I'll meet a few new people. I breathe out a sigh.

There's an empty seat to my right. A spot of expectancy where the famous Noah Wilde, biology partner and first day skipper, is supposed to be.

Good news is I don't have to do a project for art. Ms. Wimble only gave us one assignment: decorate our new sketchbooks however we please. Easy.

The school day ends without any pomp or fleur. I headed home the same way I took to the school. I think I'll go a different way tomorrow.

A smile turns my lips when I see my grandmama's cottage-like house come into view.

Neatly trimmed bushes line the cobblestone pathway to the front door and the spots of yellow and pink flowers brighten the scene. The heavy door creaks open with a hard push.

"Grandmama," I called out, bounding the stairs to my room to set down my satchel.

I walk to her room and turn the handle peeking inside. She's out cold with a Nintendo in one hand and her mouth hung open. A loud laugh escapes me before I can reel it in. My hands rush to cover my mouth.

She rustles a bit but is still fast asleep. Thank God. She is not happy when you wake her from a nap. I close her door and go back to my room.

I change my clothes and lay on my bed. I think I'll go to the bonfire tonight. If my parents let me, that is.

With that thought, I text the family group chat.

Me: hey guys :)

Mom: Hi, sunny!!

Dad: hey, how was school?

Perfect invitation.

Me: It was a good day. Made some new friends. They invited me to a bonfire tonight.

Dad: where is it?

Mom: that sounds fun!

Me: its at this no name beach walking distance from the house

I wait a minute for a response. I know they're privately texting each other to decide.

Dad: turn on your location and you can go