Panic grips him tightly- a voice in the back of his mind screams at him to do something.

Slightclaw, nonchalant as ever, glances back into the undergrowth behind him, arching his tail and muttering something over his shoulder.

Three additional figures rise from the shadows; from what Hailwatcher could make out, they were Kestrelwing, Russetblaze, and Nightwish.

Kestrelwing's involvement in this barely surprises him, and Russetblaze is for the most part an unreadable enigma, but Nightwish's presence surpises him.

Being that she's one of the now-dead warrior's two little sisters, though not quite the popular one, Hailwatcher finds himself shocked at her involvement.

Birchstorm's gurgling screech stays stuck in the back of his mind, overlaying Slatestar's warning.

Slightclaw, more or less unscathed save a scratch on his cheek and a few unremarkable lacerations on his chest, flicks his tail sharply.

Hailwatcher notices that Slightclaw flicks the bundle of flowers into the stream before getting up.

"Russetblaze, dispose of the body. Kestrelwing, Nightwish, inspect the perimeter, would you?"

Hailwatcher freezes, realizing quickly that he's going to be discovered.

"Sure," replies Nightwish, hissing something into Kestrelwing's ear before slipping through the undergrowth toward Hailwatcher's hiding place.

Full-on panicking now, the small gray tom huddles down and feels his paws getting numb.

He stares blankly ahead as Russetblaze grasps Birchstorm's limp body by the scruff and hauls it to the stream's edge, dropping it in and dipping his muzzle into the water to cleanse it.

The spotted warrior's raggedly torn throat leaks blood into the water as his body slowly floats down the stream along with the flowers.

Hailwatcher stifles a yelp; a paw suddenly slams down on his tail.

"Well, what have we here?" Nightwish mews, feigning innocent surprise; her icy eyes twinkle with menace.

Recognizing the familiar hostility, the small gray tom wishes for someone to come save him.

Trying to stammer out a response, Hailwatcher lets out a rather pitiful whimper.

Nightwish clamps down on his tail and drags him out from under the bush.

"Slightclaw?" Nightwish calls out, paw planted on the young tom's back to prevent him from moving.

"What is it?" the silver tabby replies, now out of Hailwatcher's line of sight.

"Your little friend is here. Did you invite 'im?" Nightwish replies, smirking a little.

"Little friend?" Kestrelwing echoes, creeping closer with a wide grin on his face.

Hailwatcher hides his face behind his paws, gripping desperately onto a little sprig of thyme.

"Nightwish, what are you on about?" Slightclaw mews, sounding rather exasperated.

"I think it'd be best if you came over here and got a look yourself." Nightwish flicks an ear.

Slightclaw sighs harshly.

"Very well.."

Hearing Slightclaw approaching, Hailwatcher's breathing becomes rapid and shallow.

The ShadowClan deputy's pawsteps eventually slow as he comes closer; Hailwatcher glances up to see the silver tabby glaring daggers at him.