xxv. Most Noble

Mulai dari awal

          "He's not going to die," says Mia.

          "If someone dies under the Polyjuice Potion, do they stay in that disguise forever? I think I'll die if Fred dies shorter than me—"

         Ginny turns around to glare at Briar.

         Briar whistles. "For peace of mind, no one's meant to die tonight. This is all light-hearted tomfoolery on my part. Unless you guys are planning on killing someone."

          Ginny leaves the room, clearly still annoyed about the short comment. Apparently, she had a (pardon the pun) short-lived thing with Harry last year, before he got back together with Holly. (It's been nothing but drama these past couple of years, Merlin. Mia's grateful to be proactively celibate. Apparently, if you don't have sex for six months, you become a born-again virgin, that's what she heard on a muggle show. Mia accidentally slept with Cormac — do NOT ask, she regrets it just as much as you — at Christmas, so technically, her time's up. Mia's a virgin again! Amazing days.)

          Anyway, back to the original point. Ginny's still upset about the whole situation, because apparently Mia's sort-of-brother is a catch. She doubts it. He's short.

          "Well, at least no one's meant to die," says Mrs Weasley, getting up. She's wearing her 'M' sweater, which always makes Mia happy to see. Last Christmas, Mia noticed that no one ever knitted Mrs Weasley a jumper, like the rest of them have, so she went to the closest Hobbycraft to her flat and stayed up all night knitting one. George begged to get back together with Mia the next day (she said no).

          "There's a couple raspberry Cornettos left, if you'd like one," says Briar to Molly. Ever since the engagement disaster, Briar's been walking on thin ice with Molly... She aids this by bringing food Mrs Weasley likes. Mia doesn't think Briar needs to try so hard — Mrs Weasley hates Fleur, so things can't be worse for Briar — but Briar refuses to stop sucking up.

          "I'm alright, thanks," says Mrs Weasley — which would be a reasonable response to anyone else, but the lack of enthusiasm makes Briar's shoulders visibly go down, disappointed.

          As Mrs Weasley leaves the room, Briar groans. "I don't think she'll ever like me again," she said, shaking her head in shame. "I'm going to die."

          "You're not going to die," says Mia, rolling her eyes.

          "Actually, I am," says Briar. She finishes her Cornetto, and jumps up to close the living room door. She walks back over to Mia, smiling softly. "So... George was asking about you earlier."

          "... And?"

          "He was asking if you had a date to Fleur's wedding," says Briar, looking mischievous. The wedding's next week, something Mia's painfully aware of. She ended up becoming the tailor for Fleur's vintage wedding dress, which resulted in Mia being given all of the bridesmaid and groomsmen outfits to tailor, too. (It was particularly awkward when George got his fitted, and he said the trousers were too tight.)

          Mia snorts. "I'd rather drown than go that close to a man right now."

        Briar gives her a funny look. "... Not even George?"

         "Especially George," says Mia. "It makes it too complicated. And I had so many boyfriends at school, I'm enjoying having some time on my own."

          "He doesn't die, you know," says Briar.

          Mia looks up, confused.

          "I know I shouldn't say, but if that's what's stopping you—"