My Broken Other Half

Start from the beginning

I'll have my mother with me, her grandmother, and she and I will give my daughter what she deserves. A smile crosses my face, as I look down at my stomach. And within a second, there's a thud down the hall from me. As I wince, the thud was abnormally loud. And paranoia washed over me, as I climbed out of my seat and walked into the hallway.

 "Mom?" I yelled, walking into the kitchen, eyeing the living room, and then the dining room.

 "Mom? did you hear that?" I asked, remembering Hayden was out looking for a new job.

 It couldn't have been him and I would have heard the front door if it were. I walked over to the porch, opening the sliding door, as fear trickled into my stomach.

 "Mom? come on, this isn't funny! you're scaring me!" I said, looking out on the porch, but I didn't see any trace of her. Where is she? did she leave? was someone in the house? 

I walked back inside, closing the sliding door behind me, as I entered another hallway of the house, before my eyes widened, staring off into horror, as my mother was unconscious on the floor by the attic ladder.

 "MOM" I screamed, running over to her side, as tears were fighting to escape my eyes. 

"Mom? can you hear me? mom, please wake up!" I said, shaking her, assuming she fainted or something. But how? did she trip? was she light headed? So many questions that were unanswered were rushing through my mind, as they made my fear intensify. My mother didn't answer, when I spoke to her. She laid there in my arms, as I cradled her, crying. 

The front door then opened, in the distance, as I looked in that direction. 

"HAYDEN!" I screamed, as he ran over to the hallway, and then stopped in shock seeing my mother unconscious in my arms. 

"Call 911!" I screamed, as Hayden stared at me, alarmed, trying to shake himself out of it. 

As he nods, running to the landline in the kitchen. 

 I went back to cradling my mother, "we're gonna get you some help, just hold on mom, hold on" I whispered to her. 

The ambulance showed up ten minutes later, placing my mother on a gurney, as they checked her vitals and rolled her out of the house. As Hayden stood by me, while I told the police what happened. How I just found her like that. The paramedics said she must have took a tumble down the attic stairs. But I didn't even know what she was even doing up there. I was trying to stop the tears from falling out of my eyes, but my hands were shaking, and I was so nervous for her. 

Hayden and I rode in the ambulance with her to the hospital, as I held her hand all the way there. She wasn't awake yet, but she was breathing. Which brought me some peace. When we made it to the waiting room, I was pacing, as Hayden stayed with me. I called my girlfriends, as Melody told me she was praying for me. And Laurie, Loren, and Sam insisted on coming down here but I knew they were busy with work and other personal things. 

I was okay with Hayden being here. 

As we waited to hear news on my mother, Hayden held my hands, preventing them from shaking, as he reminded me to take deep breaths. Minutes later, a nurse came over to us, as we stood to our feet. 

"Are you Meredith Manson's daughter?" she asked, as I nodded. 

"Is she gonna be okay?" Hayden asked, as I folded my arms in panic. 

The nurse looks at me, "your mother has stage four leukemia.." she begins, and everything after that is a blur.

 I'm shaking my head, refusing to believe my mother is dying. As I can feel a tug on my heart, causing it to breaks. And Hayden looks over at me, once the nurse places a comforting hand on my shoulder and walks away. I'm bawling, as Hayden pulls me into an embrace. And I'm clutching his shirt and soaking it with tears.