Chapter 6

The next few days passed with little information. We had the occasional thought or theory, but they were flimsy and they didn't tie together.

"Marnie stole Mary's sock a few years ago...?" was one of them, kindly contributed by Sally.

I placed my palm on my head.

It was the nightmare that had truly sparked my thoughts.

It was a bright day, warm and bright. We were sitting in the sitting room, thinking about our activity options.

We chose swimming.

We got into our bathing suits (ugh, disgusting wool!) and ran across the forest, jumping over the little fence and following the pebble path Sarah made when she arrived here two years ago.

We finally reached the Dandelion Lake, with its beautiful blue water and the little fields of dandelions surrounding, the reason for its naming.

The little kids splashed in, while the older ones waded through easily. I pulled my head under.

It was beautiful with the others' feet above and the sun reflecting off the cool water.

I lifted myself to the surface, a smile on my face. However it immediately faded.

Something was watching us.

Bleeding eyes.

Tall stature.

Tendency to eat the souls of young orphans.

Blankface stared at us hungrily behind the bushes.

I tried to scream, but I was dragged underwater by the waves, the water turning murky and grey. All I could do was try to live.

I had to watch as Blankface swiftly moved between the trees and killed them all.

I woke up to a start. The screams of my friends still rang in my ears, and cold sweat dribbled down me.

My nightgown felt like it was constricting my body, making me panic.

I threw it away and led down in my shift, trying to cool down. The summer night was warmer than usual.

Uma was awake, and she looked at me as I rolled over.

"Nightmare?"

"Why do you care?" I whispered coldly, giving her a glare that made her flinch.

"I- wanted to see if you were okay..." she said sheepishly, hoping she didn't look weak.

In that moment, I felt almost sorry for Uma. She had lost her friend and had turned to her worst enemy in desperation. I almost felt sorry.

"I'm fine," I said.

She looked away from me. "You know, I've always had this feeling."

"Of what?" I was intrigued of what the great Uma Banks was thinking.

"That Marnie is here with us."

"Okay..."

She gave me a penetrating glance. "Don't think this as some new friendship. You are still very annoying."

Of course. Uma was never going to change, no matter how much she tried or even cared.

But her face cracked for just a moment, and then turned away from me. Soon it went quiet again.

I lay in my bed thinking. Why was Blankface in my dreams again? Are they tied to the culprit, if it's real? And most of all, who is our murderer? It was these thoughts that pulled me in a dreamless sleep.