Chapter 5

I followed Old Maria through the darkening foyer. The orange lanterns were being lit, and it felt like something bad was about to happen with Dolly. I knew that if she was the culprit, I could be dead tonight for knowing. That wouldn't be a nice way to end our investigation, would it?

I entered the sitting room nervously. Dolly was there, her hands on her hips, a stern look radiating on her face.

"Come sit, Heather. Maria, you're excused."

"I'll be outside if you need me, Dolly."

And with that, she left with a few hacking coughs and the shuffle of her feet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Right, Heather," she said, her voice as cold as ice. "Can you explain the broken glass that was on the floor?"

Did she know about the Daisy incident, or was she just worried about the glass?

"Umm, I dropped it," I blurted pathetically. I looked down at my boots, certain that I was blushing profusely.

"Well, Daisy got it all down her dress, and she sounded quite angry when she told me about it." Dolly's older-sister tone was coming into play now.

"W-well, it was an accident, and it might dry soon-"

"Dry? Oh, for goodness' sake, Heather. Washday was yesterday, dummy! Did you have to spill the water, which holds your disgusting germs, all over Daisy of all people?" she cried manically.

"Like I said, it was an accident!" I said, some of my anger spilling out.

"Ugh, you children make me sick." She placed a finger on her temple. "Fine. But I will still punish you for retaliation. Being disrespectful to your elders is out of the question in this orphanage."

After I left the room with a slap to the face, I looked at Old Maria. She had a sympathetic look on her face and clearly knew what had happened. Of course, she did; she was amazingly wise.

The stream of orphans now paraded up the staircases in packs, clearly heading for the dormitories for bed. I wouldn't be able to see Sally and Nadiya because we weren't in the same dormitory, but I thought intensely as I followed everyone.

Uma, Annie and Lily were already in their nightgowns when I went inside our dormitory. Uma was brushing her hair with Marnie's old comb. Annie was undoing her sheets. Lily was reading a book.

I started to undress in my corner of the dorm. I threw on my familiar nightgown, the fresh scent of damp linen still lingering from the previous day. I flattened out my collar and pattered to my bed.

Suddenly Uma lunged at me, and I fell backwards as her smooth hair came pelting at me.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?!" she yelled, her face wild. I'd never seen her that mad.

"I-I did nothing!"

"LIAR-"

"UMA! THAT IS ENOUGH!" came Miss Eden's concerned voice. I never thought she would raise it.

"Miss, I'm sorry..."

"What a pathetic excuse." Miss Eden gave her a steely glare. I still felt petrified, and I cowered in my corner.

"You do not shout at another child," she said, calmer now. I heard whispers from outside. "Children, go to bed."

Uma's hands were trembling. A blank look was on her paling face, and she looked at me in horror. She had never been told off in her life.