CHAPTER 9: Love in the shadows

Mile told Apo about his thoughts of revealing their relationship to the public because he was tired of all the rumors. As Apo sat on the couch listening to him, his mind racing with thoughts of his parents' reaction if they found out he was in a relationship with a man. He loved Mile with all his heart, but the fear of losing his family's acceptance kept him from taking the next step.

Sensing the tension in the air Mile asked "Apo, what's going on? You've been acting weird lately."

Apo hesitated for a moment before finally blurting out, "I don't want to tell my parents about us. I'm afraid of what they might think."

Mile's face fell. "What? Apo, we've been together for months now, and you still don't want to tell your parents? I don't understand why."

"I just can't do it, Mile. I don't want to risk losing my family over this," Apo replied, tears welling up in his eyes.

Mile was hurt by Apo's reluctance to come out to his family. He had told his family and couldn't understand why Apo was so afraid.

"I can't keep living like this, Apo. It's not fair to me, and it's not fair to us. If you can't accept us fully and be proud of our relationship, then maybe we need to take a break," Mile said, his voice shaking with emotion.

Apo felt a lump form in his throat as he realized how much he had hurt Mile. He didn't want to lose him, but he couldn't bear the thought of his family's disapproval.

"I'm sorry, Mile. I don't want to lose you either. I just need some time to figure things out," Apo said, tears streaming down his face.

Mile nodded, standing up from the couch. "I understand, Apo but I can't do the hiding anymore . You know where to find me when you're ready to talk."

With that, Mile left the room, leaving Apo alone with his thoughts and tears. He knew he had hurt the person he loved most in the world, and he didn't know how to fix it.

*******

Mile sat in a bar with a glass of scotch in hand, feeling hurt. He needed to talk to someone, someone who would understand. He had reached out to his friend, the one he had been rumored to be dating, and she had agreed to meet him.

As she sat down in front of him, he could see the concern etched on her face. "Mile, what's going on?" she asked, her voice soft and gentle.

Mile took a deep breath and began to pour out his heart to her. He told her everything about his relationship with Apo, how he felt about him and how he had wanted to tell the world about them. He also told her about the argument they had and how it had left him feeling upset and hurt.

His friend listened attentively, nodding in all the right places and offering words of comfort when he needed them. But as their conversation wore on, Mile began to notice a change in her demeanor. It was subtle at first, but he could sense a shift in the air.

She leaned in closer to him, placing a hand on his arm. "Mile, I've always had feelings for you. I know we've been friends for a long time, but I can't help the way I feel."

Mile's heart sank. He had never thought of her in that way, and he didn't know how to respond. He could see the desire in her eyes, and it made him feel uncomfortable.

"I appreciate your feelings, but I'm in a committed relationship with Apo," he said firmly, trying to keep his voice steady.

His friend didn't seem deterred by his words, and she leaned in even closer. "Mile, you don't have to stay in a relationship that doesn't make you happy. I could make you happy," she whispered, her breath hot against his ear.

Mile pulled back, shaking his head. "No, I love Apo. I could never be with anyone else. I'm sorry."

As he stood up to leave, he could see the hurt in his friend's eyes. He knew he had hurt her, but he couldn't change the way he felt. He left the bar feeling even more confused and vulnerable than before.

As he walked out of the bar with his friend, he noticed people waiting for him outside and taking pictures. He tried to ignore them and make his way to his car keeping his friend safe in front of him.

As they climbed into his car and drove away, he couldn't help but feel like his life was spiraling out of control. He didn't know how much longer he could handle the constant scrutiny and judgment from the public. And on top of everything else, he was worried about the strain that his relationship with Apo was starting to experience. It was all becoming too much for him to handle.