♔ SEVEN

The first day of classes had officially commenced.
The students of Hogwarts hustled to their first classes. The first floor of the castle was filled with frantic first years in perfect pristine robes anxiously looking for the right room. Poking their heads into a classroom, eyes wide full of wonder and confusion before scrambling to the next, all of their books stacked high in their arms obstructing their vision or in their school bag weighing them down as they hurried on to the next.
And up above were Seventh years lazily walking the routes they had memorized over seemingly a life time of routine living within the castle, boys with their ties loosely done lounging against the walls watching as they filled and dispersed with the peers they had come to known. Girls talked in hushed whispers sharing secretive glances before bursting into giggles.

The emotions that encased the first day of classes expended not only to those of the living, but also the dead inhabitants of the castle.
Along the fifth floor, Peeves bellowing laughter could be heard as he relentlessly teased students for their not so secret secrets as he pranked and made the students first days a living hell. Light hearted jinxes and useless charms bounced off the walls all around the castle because finally, the underage students were allowed to use their magic.

While Hogwarts seemed to be business as usual, the students and teachers alike could all agree on one thing. Something was different.

Whether it was the way that the breeze drifting along the corridors seemed unusually cold for the beginning of September or the myriad of Daily Prophets in students hands and bags that carried the name of two fifth year students.
Something was different, and another thing everybody could agree on was that it didn't feel like a good kind of different.

The hallways and corridors slowly deserted as students made their way into their respective classes, the bell tower ringing signaling the official beginning of the year.

Professor Flitwicks charms class was completely full this year, all students wearing either red or gold as the fifth year Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs took their seats.

Averly Malfoy sat at the back of the class, her back straight and chin held high, a pillar of steel. At first glance her peers wouldn't bat an eye at her, she looked just as she usually did- bitchy and abrasive. However, as Harry Potter entered the classroom of jubliant students, he saw her.

Harry would always see Averly, for everything she hid under that cold unwavering mask, Harry and Lee Jordan noticed everything that the Malfoy girl didn't want people to notice about her. Even when Harry wanted nothing more than to throttle her when her harsh tongue would hurl insults at him or she would clench her jaw and pay him no mind as if he didn't exist, he couldn't help the pull he felts towards her. He couldn't help but get lost in her entire essence every time he looked at her.

Harry drank in the sight of her. The way the button down school uniform hugged her curves in all the right places, the neat braid her snow white hair fell in-without a single hair misplaced. But, the longer he looked at her, he also noticed the way she hid her hands under her desk, white knuckles clenched around each other because damn, they wouldn't stop fucking shaking, and the way those icelandic blue eyes subtly swept over each corner of the room as if a monster was going to jump out from the shadows.

Harry hadn't realized how long he had been staring at her until he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder and turned to see his curly haired best friend, only to see that her eyes were trained on the same girl that his was. With a sigh and large concerned eyes Hermione dropped her hand.