SEVENTEEN

If Autumn stabbed me in the eyeball with her eyeliner one more time, I would kill her

Despite my protest, she still insisted I should be grateful that she was offering her expertise to make me look good for the New Year's party. It wasn't like a pair of wings across my eyelids would miraculously make me confident, though.

"Hey, you guys should we try this tequila, my cousin Raegan bought me for graduation last year?" Jordan said, not hesitating to enter my room with a handful of shot glasses. Maybe makeup wouldn't help my confidence but alcohol sure stood a chance.

"I hope you're aware I look like a prostitute," Autumn pointed out, narrowing her eyes and tugging at the end of the sky-blue dress she borrowed from Jordan.

I almost rolled my eyes at her. Almost. Only as I tucked my acerbic wit away, I gazed at her and sighed, capping the mascara she was making me apply myself. "Look," I started, taking a few steps toward her and setting my hands on her shoulders. "This will be good for you. Trust me, okay?"

She bore an uninterested look on her face as she rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she murmured. "I doubt it."

"Have no fear, Jordan is here," She grinned, linking arms with the both of us. "And as your sister's best friend, it is my duty to find you a one-night stand tonight."

"Oh, I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that." I frowned and shook my head.

"You're both such bad influences," she told us and I merely grinned in response. We wanted to do something for fun for Autumn to get her out of her comfort zone and hopefully socialize her before she started school in the fall, but before we could do anything along those lines, Autumn's phone rang.

With an aggravated sigh, she rummaged through her purse and finally managed to locate it, lifting it toward her ear. "Hello?" she spoke lethargically, bitting down on her lower lip. Almost at once, her eyes grew wide and she swallowed hard. "No, Mom. We're just in the apartment. Y-yes, we're literally about to watch a movie in our pajamas."

Moments afterward, Autumn removed the phone from her ear and passed it over to Jordan, her eyes wide. "She wants to talk to you," she whispered, looking almost forlorn.

She rendered her an encouraging smile, before raising the phone to her ear. "Hello? Yes, it's me. Yeah, we were just getting ready to watch A Cinderella Story. Yeah, the one with Jennifer Coolidge. She was just so good in The White Lotus wasn't she?" She pretended to sigh, making sure it sounded resigned. "No, none of that tonight. AJ and I both have to work tomorrow so we just can't risk it. Absolutely. Alright, have a nice night Ms. Johnson."

"God, she's such a helicopter parent for me," Autumn muttered as Jordan handed her phone back. Then, grinning slyly, she tucked her phone in her black purse. "Why wasn't she this way when you left home? I'm such a better kid than you ever were. And why the hell does she trust Jordan more than the both of us?"