Chapter 9

One year ago

Dahyun's Pov

"Do you remember what happened?", the police officer asked. He had short brown hair and glasses with a thick, black frames. Dahyun couldn't lift her head, let alone talk. Everything hurt so much. She didn't remember anything. The world around her had a blur on it's edges. "Sir, my daughter is obviously not feeling well. Come back later." The man nodded and turned to leave. "Let me know once we can continue the investigations Misses Kim." Her mother took Dahyun's hand. "Everything will be alright Darling. It will be alright. Don't worry. Mom and Dad will keep you safe." A soft sob escaped her mouth. Dahyun wanted to speak, but only a rasp escaped her mouth. "Hush, it is alright. Do not talk. Just recover." Dahyun barely felt the kiss on her forehead and fell sleep shortly after.

When she was able to talk and move, the police came by often. They wanted to know how she got into the incident. She wasn't sure what they were talking about. Even pictures of the place where she was supposedly attacked didn't change that. They told her that she had been attacked by someone and was hit on her head with a blunt object. She didn't remember that. She said that to them everytime they came. They didn't give up and Dahyun didn't know what she had to say to make them leave her alone.

When Kim Dahyun was discharged from the hospital, she found her room put into boxes. "Why is my entire room in boxes mom?", she asked, getting the feeling she knew the answer already. "Listen Darling. I hate this as much as I think you will but we have to do this. You have been attacked here and the police has adviced us to move away. But as you know we can't move away because of our work. Your boyfriend came by earlier and picked some of your stuff up. We can't protect you but he might be able to." Dahyun was too stunned to speak. "Why? Come on, everyone keeps doing this. All of you are so fixated on my safety but won't even tell me what happened! Please. Mom, tell me what happened." Dahyun's mother bit her bottom lip, averting the gaze from her daughter. "We're sorry. The doctor said it will be better if your memories come back on their own. As much as I wish I could tell you, I'm not sure if I know what truly happened myself. Come on Darling. I want to leave in one hour."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all went well for a while. Dahyun had a job as a nurse and her boyfriend worked in a café. It didn't seem it would go as bad as it did. 

One very particular evening, Dahyun was able to go home early. It just happened to be the second year anniversary and Dahyun had bought some chocolate they could enjoy together during their nightly Kdrama watch.
That night he happened to be with someone else, having more and very intimite fun with a girl Dahyun recognized as a regular in his café.

As simple as that their relationship ended and neither of them seemed to mourn it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One year ago

Nayeon's POV

She was scared. You could see it in her eyes. She could be glad that she was alive and she knew it. Mina felt like a bird that was put in a tiny cage and was asked to fly. The little bird, now Infront of the police officer, really wanted to tell them what had had happened but her mouth was sealed shut. 

The police officer that placed himself opposite of Mina earlier, rubbed his temples. He'd been doing that for a while now. "Myoui Mina. Born in Japan on the Twenty-Fourth March 1997, right?" Ever so slowly, Mina nodded. She stared at the laptop screen the police officer had Infront og him. "I know what you have gone through is horrible Mina. But you will have to talk to us. We are here to help. We need every bit of information you have about these people for the sake of your parents and the woman that is injured." Nothing. This man knew nothing. She saw him laughing with his co-workers earlier. He knew nothing.

"Don't you think that Jaebom is a bit too harsh with her? I mean, she just lost her parents an hour ago and she must blame herself for the woman that stepped in. We shouldn't push her like this.", Nayeon told Jackson. The friends had followed the conversation through the window. The young police officer lifted and eyebrow and took a sip of her coffee. "They always just want to finish the job and get the good reputation for solving it. They never care about the feelings of the victims nowadays." Jackson realized how close that was to the truth.

He glanced at the clock. It had been late already when they were notified about the crime scene. A man and a woman had been killed and another woman, apparently a bystander, had been severely injured. As of right now, Myoui Mina was their only source of information. The woman that had been injured, was still to unwell to be interrogated.
The two people that had become a victim of these brutal murderers (at least they suspected that there had been multiple attackers), had been Mina's parents. It was very obvious to anyone, that Mina blamed herself for everything that had happened.

It was her fault. Her fault only. They wanted to meet her and so she did. And then she just watched them die. Watched the other woman get knocked unconscious (when it happened Mina thought that the woman with the crazy coloured hair had also died). And what had she done? She ran away like a chicken. Mina could still see the grimaces of these man as they slashed her parents throats open without a second thought. But their faces were covered by the darkness. There was only one thing she remembered about the men.
All of them had the same tattoo. That of a black snake.

"Listen to me. If you don't want to talk, at least try to write.  Please, at least try." He pushed a notepad and a pen towards her. She hesitated but ultimately took the pen. 

Black snake tattoo on both , she wrote. The police officer opposite of her cocked an eyebrow. He just regarded the scentence. Without muttering a word, he took the notepad away from her to inspect it further. As if there was something hidden between the letters. "Miss Myoui. This-", he stopped himself. Taking a deep breath he looked into Mina's eyes. "Thank you so much for your cooperation. I will now release you to go home if you please, until further investigation might be needed." With a blank stare, Mina got out of her chair and waited until the officer opened the door. She bowed and walked head first into Nayeon, who had been waiting for her colleague at the door.

The women quietly regarded each other, caught in a daze. Nayeon didn't expect herself to act like this. She's been watching Mina for the entirety of the investigation. Somehow, Nayeon felt the weird urge to protect her, more than ever before, for reasons unknown to her. Before anyone would catch the weird stare-off, she cleared her throat and took a step back. "I will bring you to your home Miss Myoui.", Nayeon said to Mina. Jackson raised an eyebrow at that. Jackson was the one that was supposed to bring Mina home. Jaebom either didn't hear or care. He just shrugged and reminded Nayeon to get her paperwork to the chief first.

"Alright, follow me.", Nayeon gestured for Mina to follow. "I'm terribly sorry that I still must get some work done. I promise that I will work fast. Here, sit down." Mina sat down in the chair that Nayeon had just pulled out underneath the table. It was Nayeon's desk. The young officer realised that Mina was slightly shivering and quietly got a blue blanket out of one of the drawers. "You know, every time I'm scared about a job, I wrap myself or just my hands in this blanket before or after. That way everything will be fine.", she said while wrapping it around the other woman. "I'll protect you, Myoui Mina. You must not be scared."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok when was the last time I updated this story? Like, a year ago? Maybe longer? Whoops. I promise, there'll be more. I just haven't had the motivation but for some reason I decided to continue this today. Unsure why. If you have any questions or corrections, please let me know in the comments.

Until then mooncakes,

Thank you.