𝐱𝐱𝐱. luke

Start from the beginning

"Hmm... what do you think, chief?" JJ asked, resting his chin on Pope's chair in front of him.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." John B quired, still looking ahead of him in debate.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement."

"Well, they seemed to have made it just fine." Bennie shrugged, leaning forward from the back seat so they could hear her better. "Just step on it."

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ protested. It was true, Limbrey was probably driving an expensive car while they were in a minivan. It's pretty easy to guess who would win that race.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah grinned. John B turned back to face her. "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

John B and JJ looked at eachother, exchanging tight-lipped smiles before agreeing to just do it anyways, as Sarah had a point.

Red chuckled at her words, turning back in her seat to give her a fist bump, which she happily accepted with a smile. "Everybody hold on to something," Red called, grabbing onto John B's chair.

Once the Twinkie had made it to the other side of the raising tide, barely safely. See what I did there? Side and tide. Puns, puns, puns.

JJ exited the Twinkie side door, sliding it open so the others could get out. "Angel Oak is right through here." He explained. "Alright, so, word to the wise, Definitely know that gators nest back here... so keep your eyes peeled, okay? You don't wanna step on a mama gator, that's the last thinking you want to have to happen."

"I didn't even know gators had nests." Bennie voiced, her eyes fixated on her feet so you didn't step on anything. "And I still don't know the difference between alligators and crocodiles but the fact that crocodiles have their shoe brand. Lucky bastards."

"Seems like a great place to park," Sarah muttered sarcastically, quick to the back of the line.

"You don't wanna be a Pat Womack. She had her calf chewed off by a gator, right?" JJ teased, turning towards Bennie just to scare her even more. "You know that, right?"

"Lmao, JJ. Truly." Bennie replied sarcastically, ripping the stick from his hands and poking the ground with it.

"That's not true." Kie corrected. "Pat Womack was injured in a car accident, but I hear you.

"Okay, just live in ignorance. But she had her calf chewed off by a mama gator, I know that for a fact." JJ declared, getting closer and closer to the water. "They like the brackish water." JJ stopped, putting his arm back to stop Red and Kie from walking any more forward. "I see something. Give me the stick."

Bennie tossed JJ the stick to which he poked the water, making a rather larch splash.

"Great, wake them up. That's smart."

"I was just making sure it wasn't a gator, that's all," JJ explained, coming back up and starting to walk again.

"Ok, now give me the stick back." Bennie tugged on the stick, JJ refusing to let it go. Sometimes it was fun to watch the two of them have absolutely pointless arguments, but it made for some good entertainment.

"Bentley, I swear to God if you don't let go, I'm gonna thrown you in the gators, you hear me?" He threatened, Bennie clearly not taking him seriously as she rolled her eyes, still not letting go of the stick. Bennie leaned over to her side, looking down at the water below. "What are you doing now?" Asked JJ, tightening his grip on the wood.

"Checking to see how far down it is to see if it's worth it." Bennie smiled cheekily, finally letting go of the stick when JJ tugged it away from her. "Ow!" She shrieked, looking down at her palms. "You gave me a sliver, stupid!"