Thirty Five: Anger

"What plans?"

Jordan set down his cutlery after picking at eggs and bacon for as long as his roiling gut could bear it. Opposite him, Cara nursed a cup of tea and seemed content to listen to general bustle of the pub. They hadn't spoken a word since the food had arrived.

They were in one of the nicer pubs in the merchants' quarter, the kind Yddris had always turned up his nose at. "They add an extra charge for the privilege of breathing while you take up one of their chairs," was a common refrain.

Cara set the mug down and gestured one of the staff over. She ordered another large pot of tea, and they sat in more silence while waiting for it to arrive. When it did, Cara poured them both a fresh cup and sat forward. Jordan unclenched his jaw, though he was sure she'd sensed his impatience.

"I am not going to do anything you are explicitly against," she began. "But I have a provisional plan that I would hope will make your life easier in the long run. Do you wish to hear it?"

"I'm open to anything at this point."

"Here it is." And she began to lay out a schedule. At first, Jordan recoiled; it sounded like a lot of work, and he barely had any energy to spare these days. But then he reconsidered that being busy was better; thinking too much just led him in spirals. It involved several members of the Guild, not too dissimilar to Arlen's teaching structure for him but a lot less intimidating. "Harkenn may have wanted you because you are Yddris's student," Cara said, "but if he will not allow Yddris the flexibility to teach you, then it is my duty to step in and ensure you do not fall behind. I will speak to Faellian and make him aware, and whatever gaps in your schedule can be filled by Yddris, they will be. Things have been allowed to drift for far too long and you are too vulnerable, through no fault of your own. Are you willing to do the work, Thorne?"

"Where does, you know...everything else fit in?"

"Yddris will be in contact with me at all times to let me know of your arrangements. For your own safety, I expect you to work hard in their lessons too."

"But you know what they're expecting of me."

Cara sighed. "If there were a way to extract you from that situation entirely at this stage, I would take it. Do what is within your power to avoid that which will haunt you, but your best protection against men like that is to know how they think."

"I don't like how they think."

Her voice, when she next spoke, was sad. "If we could only change the worst in those around us just by wishing it, the world would not be so dark. All you can do is stand up for yourself, Thorne. That's all anyone can ask of you. And I intend that you become fully capable of doing so."

-

A few hours later, Usk scowled at him for the second time. The first time had been a scowl of confusion; this was a scowl of challenge.

The shiver of apprehension that usually followed a look like that from the Varthian never came. Jordan's ribs hurt and his throat was on fire, but he welcomed the pain as a distraction from his thoughts. He hadn't seen Yddris since the previous night, though he suspected he'd let Usk in — the man had been waiting in Jordan's bedroom when he'd come home from his long talk with Cara. He didn't know when he would next see the Unspoken, or when he would next be able to face Grace. Certainly not yet, when he didn't trust himself not to say something he couldn't take back. He didn't have to hold back with Usk, though, and the Varthian had cottoned on too late that Jordan meant business this evening.

"You will crack that rib a second time if you do not stop flinging yourself at me like a demon with blood up its nose," the man grunted. He looked grudgingly impressed as he wiped the cut across his knuckles down his shirt, leaving a smear of red.