Chapter 4-An Overly Dramatic Detour

Start from the beginning

Inga sighed, "Combining moves is simply not feasible for beginning trainers. In order to create a new attack, you first must fully master the components."

Damn, what a letdown. But at least you didn't have to worry about every trainer you encountered having some odd combo move.

"Exploud." The Pokémon motioned towards his trainer.

"Ah." Inga straightened her body. "Thanks for reminding me. When do you two plan on leaving?"

"Soon...Probably. If it's okay with you, that is." As it would happen, Professor Juniper had sent you quite the generous sum of money, 10,000 Pokédollars to be precise. You had picked it up alongside your eviolite earlier this week.

This expedited the start of your journey significantly, as you wouldn't have to continue taking odd jobs in order to make ends meet.

Inga rubbed the bridge of her nose. "I'm not your momma (y/n). If you think you're ready to go, then go ahead."

"Lo-Me!" Meloetta gave a little cheer in support.

"You...you don't think I need more training?" You looked up to Inga.

"You're obviously still a greenhorn, but getting out there and gathering experience will help you grow faster. Even if I try to switch my battling style up, I've still fought the same way for decades. You can only learn so much from sparring against me." You suppose that made sense. Inga was a very aggressive individual in battle, preferring for her Pokémon act quickly and efficiently.

Employing the same strategies you had learned with her against more passive trainers would lead you to failure.

"If we're talking about leaving, then I still have to buy supplies for my Journey. Are there any specific things you would recommend purchasing. L-like more obscure stuff you wouldn't think to bring, I mean?" There were numerous online resources dedicated to describing what items to bring along for a new journey. But once again, a more experienced guide couldn't hurt.

"Tell you what kid. I've been meaning to go up to the Pokémart for a while now. Gotta grab some Pokéchow and such. I'll meet you up there around two."

"Gotcha, well...see you then." You and Meloetta waved goodbye. Inga and her Pokémon returned the gesture.

...

Inga stood at the entrance of the Pokémart just as she said she would. She had a small bag slung over her left shoulder, and was shooting disapproving looks at anybody who strolled too close to her. She turned to face you as you drew closer to her.

"(y/n), are you ready?"

"As...as ready as I'll ever be."

"Then let's get moving. I'm an expert at this, so just follow my lead." Inga moved with

"An expert...an expert at...what exactly?" You and Meloetta shared worried expressions as you picked up a cart to place items in.

"Get out of my way-Get out of my way." Inga pushed past some people, drawing quite a few surprised looks. In all fairness, they were standing in the middle of isle, but-

"Sorry about that...she's uh...having a bad day." A middle aged woman shook her head as you sped up your movement to catch the rampaging old lady.

"Here we go!" Inga called from the end of the aisle. She gestured to a rack of bags, the majority of them adorned with a Pokéball logo.

You looked up the rack of bags. "These are...those storage bags, right?"

Inga nodded. "Get one of the backpacks...they won't get in your way as often." You obliged, and as you turned to face her-