Chapter 4-An Overly Dramatic Detour

Start from the beginning

You had asked Inga about this discrepancy, and she had told you something about Pokémon gaining unexpected bursts of strength during extreme stress. This was also the reason so many Pokémon happened to evolve during intense battles.

It was like an adrenaline boost, just kicked up to eleven.

"Anime logic strikes once again." You locked eyes with Meloetta, giving the Pokémon an encouraging smile.

Staraptor was circling again. You had to plan fast. If there was one thing you learned during your training with Inga, it was that she hated wasting time.

"Wing Attack! Once more!" The flying type let out a deep screech as she spun towards the earth.

"Psybeam, then Quick Attack!" Eyes glowing, Meloetta released a beam of energy directly upwards towards Staraptor. The avain Pokémon spiraled around the beam without missing a beat, never once leaving her original trajectory.

Meloetta then rushed Staraptor as the latter Pokémon descended. Staraptor tucked its body inwards to dodge the Quick Attack, but was not as successful this time around.

Both Pokémon struck each other simultaneously. Meloetta's legs struck Staraptor's chest, while the flying type's wing struck the smaller Pokémon on the side of the head.

However, only Meloetta plummeted out of the air as a result of the exchange. The damage it had taken over the course of the fight had finally taken its toll.

You rushed over to the downed Pokémon. Pulling out an oran berry, you held it up for the Pokémon to eat.

"You did well, Staraptor. Now Return." The flying type glared at you as it disappeared into its Pokéball.

"You've improved, but you've still got room to grow." Inga had finally deemed you and Meloetta suitable for battle, and you had been participating in these mock battles in the past day or two. "Staraptor, and many other airborne Pokémon tend to pick up a lot of speed when diving. Pulling out of that dive takes quite a bit of energy, and slows the Pokémon substantially. Try executing multiple Quick Attacks when these Pokémon come close to the ground. That'll give you more distance." She gestured for you to finish.

"And...that means the Pokémon will lose more speed trying to close that distance?" You guessed.

Inga continued, "Exactly. If you plan on overcommitting to an action, you make damn sure you execute it successfully. Try raising the distance your Pokémon can travel with Quick Attack as well. It'll save you energy in drawn out battles."

"Lo-ta?" Your Pokémon tugged on your arm lightly.

"You did great Meloetta." The Pokémon preened itself as you patted it on the head.

"Ploud. Ex-ploud."

"He says good work to the both of you," Inga translated. The bulky normal type had continued its training with Meloetta over the course of the past week. For this exact reason, you were forbidden from using Hyper Voice during the sparring matches. Inga didn't want your Pokémon to wear itself out, and she compensated by having her Pokémon also hold off on their stronger moves.

That was honestly a blessing. As you expected, Meloetta couldn't take physical hits too well.

Speaking of stronger moves. "Say, Inga?"

"Hm?"

"How does one go about combining moves together?" That was one piece of information that would be invaluable. You were pretty sure Ash had done it at some point in the anime, but you couldn't remember the specifics of the event. No such equivalent really existed in the games either. There were the elemental pledge moves, but those required two Pokémon to attack simultaneously.