Chapter 1 - 2022

"You got your permission form?" Mom asks, her voice gradually fading as she rushes to the kitchen. 

"Yep," I hurriedly reply while swinging my loaded backpack behind me and mentally checking my list. 'Extra clothes, towels, deodorant, soap, food, snacks, water, phone, powerbank. What else?'

Seeing as how I'm prepped and ready to leave, I huff a deep breath of excitement. "Mom, dad, I'm going!" I call out around the house.

"Hold on," a shuffle of steps comes from upstairs as dad in his tank tops comes storms down with a handful of ones and tens. "Here," he then hands me the bundle of bills, "in case you find something interesting."

"Dad, that's too much."

"Heh, that's what she said." He crosses his arms with a smile.

Mom appears from the kitchen with another bag of sandwich as I pocket the money.

"Extra when you get hungry on the way home," she hands me the bag followed by a sigh as dad puts an arm over her shoulder. "We still think we should be there with you."

"Come on, mom," I chuckle. "I'm a junior. It's my last chance to do something stupid, fun, and dangerous."

"Not too dangerous, though," dad points at me with a raised brow. "And no vices."

"Hell no," I quickly reply.

Perhaps expecting dad to side with her, mom merely shakes her head and waves her hands in the air and returns to the kitchen. "Just take care, alright?"

"Bring us back something nostalgic," dad reminds me as well.

"Sure thing." With that, I throw a mock salute before he returns to getting in uniform while I rush outside to the bus.

Though sprinting through the lawn took a few seconds, I was able to get a breath of air that smelled more like carbon than oxygen. I hope this would change once we reach the BOAT.

Amidst the buzzing noise of laughter, chatter, and the horseplay at the back, I manage to sidestep my way through the aisle that's made narrow by everyone's bags and packs. I see Angela already hogged the window seat even though I called dibs last night.

A strap of my bag falls off my shoulder the same time the bus lurches forward to leave. I lose my balance and fall like a sack of potatoes on the seat next to her.

"Whoa," she exclaims with a chuckle and helps me with my bag. "Need a manual on how to use your legs?"

After settling on the seat, I grab a sandwich and offer her the other.

Her excitement appears to be overflowing to the point that she doesn't even notice the sandwich I'm offering. "What do you think we're gonna see after they send us off with the BOAT thing?"

I withdraw the sandwich. "Things we only see on the internet, I guess."

She squeals excitedly, playfully flailing in her seat.

Seeing that this will be a long ride to the Rich Facility, I enjoy my sandwich before plugging in my headphones. After stretching my fingers and cracking my neck, I move on to playing my favorite first-person shooter game. Not to brag, but I consider myself a professional at these kinds of games. That is after spending a few years finding time to play between school and responsibilities.

A while into a match, Angela snags one of my earphones and puts it in her ear. "You're pretty good at shooting stuff." She holds back a laugh after I got shot up close with a sniper rifle. I could see her flinching once a while whenever a loud shot pops off. "Don't you get scared or surprised at the sound of that?"