10

Frances had fought the decision endlessly. She didn't think the plan was a good one. In fact, she thought it was possibly the worst plan anyone had come up with, ever. And she had made some pretty bad plans.

She had even tried to run away, but Elizabeth knew how to get her to cooperate. So there she was, on the floor of Lord Beckett's office, begging for a pardon and trying desperately to convince him that she'd been forced to do the whole thing. She put on quite a show, tears and all.

The now-Admiral Norrington was standing in the corner behind Beckett, with the now-Lieutenant Groves standing next to him. The only two men — save for the Governor, who she had wrapped around her finger, but he wasn't exactly in good graces — she had influence over. And they were both looking incredibly uncomfortable. And angry. Theodore was good at hiding it, he always was. But Frances saw right through him. He wanted to shoot Beckett right where he stood.

That was nothing compared to Norrington's expression. Clearly, because Beckett couldn't see him, he was not trying to mask his emotions. His eyes were dark, burning holes through the ridiculous wig that Frances wanted so badly to rip off of Beckett's head.

She was rather pleased with the way Norrington looked. How just her own distress could make him so protective could've made her blush if she wasn't so locked into her performance.

"Please, my lord. What I've been through, what I've seen, what's been done to me. I've thought of home every day I've been gone, and I'm lucky to have my life. I only wish to serve you, I have no loyalty with pirates."

"You have loyalty with Miss Swann, though, do you not?"

She'd expected this question. "We were childhood friends. She did nothing when I told her of what they'd done. I have no more respect for her, she's a true pirate now."

Beckett was obviously skeptical. He was no fool. He wasn't convinced. He turned around to Norrington and Theodore, who had both schooled their faces back to neutral before he could see.

"You both know Miss Groves better than I," He gestured to Frances offhandedly, inviting the men to speak.

"My lord," Theodore began cautiously. He knew from experience that standing up for his sister did not always work, due to the expected bias he held for her. "She is clearly in distress. I can't see any alternative motive she could have. Besides, she is not clever enough to fool all of us."

Ouch. Frances knew he wasn't serious, he was just covering. But again, ouch.

Beckett turned to Norrington for his advice. Frances also wanted to hear what he was going to say. She needed to keep her mouth shut and her face stuck in worry and desperation.

"Lord Beckett, if I may..." Norrington gestured towards Frances. Beckett nodded, and Norrington walked slowly towards Frances, as if he wasn't sure how she would react. She wasn't quite sure herself.

He reached a hand out to her to help her from the floor. "No lady should have to beg for anything. Please, stand." She took his hand and pulled herself back to her feet, looking up at him. She managed a small smile of gratitude, trying not to crumble under his gaze.

"Thank you, Admiral."

He turned to Beckett. "I believe she is telling the truth. It was not long ago I came to you for a pardon, and you generously allowed one."