2

Frances thanked the druggist behind the counter, taking her basket of perfumes and stepping outside. Normally, the servants would do the shopping for her family, but Frances liked to get out and see people.

She had been buying from T.B. Chymist & Druggist for as long as she could remember. The owner, an old and weary man, was kind and the products worked wonders. The remedies for illness, that is. She didn't believe that their cure for a broken heart would work. Then again, she had never needed it. She wandered town for a bit, but there weren't many other stores besides the tailor. Port Royal was known for Fort Charles and the surplus of inns and taverns, nothing more.

She stopped by the tailor to check on the dress she was having made for Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony. It was almost finished, but the tailor was behind schedule. The ceremony was in just one day. Frances bought the shoes that would go with her dress. The tailor insisted on giving her stays with it, but Frances tried to refuse. The contraption was quite untrustworthy.

"With all due respect, it is far too warm out to consider stays."

"But the governor and your father have both insisted that you do." The tailor held the stays out to Frances. "Besides, most young ladies will be wearing them soon. Be the first."

"The governor? Why should he care what I wear underneath my dress?"

The tailor gave her an unimpressed look. "Miss Elizabeth Swann is wearing them as well, and the dress is designed for them to go with it. As an important figure at the fort, you must wear them with her."

"Oh, goodness. Fine, I'll wear them. I'll be back tomorrow for the dress and the stays." Frances took her basket and hurried out of the store. The sun was already setting by the time the carriage pulled up at the gate. She tossed her basket onto a chair and rested until her brother and father came home for dinner.

The two men spoke of their day with each other, but Frances remained silent. Her father threw out an occasional mention of a suitor but he never pushed it too much.

She retired to her room quickly after dinner and went right to sleep, not bothering to have her maid help her undress.

In the morning, Frances hurried into town. She picked up her dress from the tailor and rushed home down the roads, the house close enough to walk to rather than take a carriage.

She took off her shoes and realized that they were covered in dirt. She was covered in dirt. Groaning, she called for Jane. There wasn't any time to bathe, so they did their collective best to dust off her legs. They'd be hidden by her dress anyway.

Jane did her best to lace her into her stays, but they had to call in an extra housemaid to hold Frances still. She wasn't strong enough to stay in one spot while Jane tugged on her torso. "Alright, miss. Breathe in while I do this last tug and then you'll be set." Frances did as Jane said, internally cursing her tailor.

The stays weren't as bad as she'd expected. They were uncomfortable, but she could breathe well enough. Jane helped Frances into her dress and put her shoes on for her. She put her hair into a simple plait, placing a hat over it. Frances thanked Jane and dismissed her.

Once she'd gone downstairs, she chose her parasol over her fan. Her hat wouldn't provide enough protection from the brutal sun. Theodore was already at the fort, helping Captain Norrington prepare for his promotion.

She stepped into the carriage and headed to the fort. As soon as she stepped out, she realized her mistake. She should've chosen the fan.

After a miserable hour, she slowly moved over to where Elizabeth was standing. She could provide some comfort in the boredom of the ceremony. However, Frances was almost across the entire courtyard from her friend. By the time she reached Elizabeth, the ceremony finished. Elizabeth slipped away before Frances could greet her. She was soon spotted by Governor Swann.