Prologue

August 8-Chicago, Illinois

"Alright. I think that about covers it." Your lawyer said. "Amber, Anthony, after six months of separation, you two are officially divorced."

"Thank you." You told her. "You're a saint."

"Just doing my job."

You heard Anthony say something under his breath, clearly wanting you to hear it.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Spit it out."

"I seriously only get to see my kid on weekends?"

"That's about how often you see him now anyway."

"You can't take my kid from me!"

"I guess you should've fought harder in court!"

"Let's keep it civil, okay? You two are no longer a couple. Your only obligation is to your son. Keep it friendly for him."

You took a piece of paper and began to scribble on it.

"Here's my new address in Metropolis." You said as you handed it to him. "That doesn't mean you can stop by whenever you want."

He chuckled and did the same.

"Here's mine in D.C."

"See, now that's friendly co-parenting."

You placed the final box in the back of the truck and shut the door.

"Got everything?" Anthony asked.

"I think so."

"Good. I'm gonna miss you."

"Yeah."

"I really am sorry that things didn't work out between us."

"So am I."

He pulled you in for a quick hug and pressed a kiss to your forehead. "Take care of yourself."

"Yeah. You too."

He went over to your car and gave Zeeke a hug in his car-seat.

"I love you, buddy."

"I love you too."

"Be good for your mom, okay?"

"Okay."

"I'll see you soon."

"Promise?"

"I Promise."

He gave the boy a kiss before closing the door once more. You waved and gave him a smile as you got in. He  became harder to see in the distance the further you drove. Feeling as if a weight was lifted off of your shoulders, you had felt peace for the first time in years. You finally had hope for the future.