As I reached the top of the hill, I saw Becca waiting under the big tree in the schoolyard, waving at me. I gave her a small smile as I walked up to her.

"What's up, girl?" I greeted her. We began walking to the front door of the school.

"I found out some exciting news!" Becca said, clapping her hands and wearing a huge smile.

"What is it now? You found a dress at Von Maur that is just your size with a low price?" I said with much sarcasm.

"No, silly... some more exciting news," she winked at me. "I heard that Chris Travis, the captain of the basketball team, is looking for a date to Homecoming!!" Becca squeezed my arm while screaming with excitement.

"So...?"

"SO, he's looking for a girl to ask to the dance and you could be the one he's looking for!"

"Doesn't he have a girlfriend though?"

"Not anymore; they split up this weekend. Which means he's single and available, chica!" Becca screams again, this time making the surrounding students stare at us like we're crazy.

"Okay. Becca, sweetie. Scream one more time and I will cut your throat. And second, what makes you think I would go to the dance with Chris? That's not possible."

"Sam, are you kidding?! Chris is the most popular guy in the entire school! All the girls want a piece of that, including me. But weren't you the one that had a crush on him since you came to Wesley High? Don't act like you don't want that--"

"Whatever, Becca." I cut her off. "Either way, he doesn't pay attention to me so why bother?"

We walk into the noisy, crowded hallway and spot Diggy and Khalil flirting with a random cheerleader. Typical. We start walking towards them.

"Nonsense! If he doesn't pay attention to you, he will once I'm done with you," Becca said, pulling lip gloss out of her purse and applying it to her plump lips.

"'Sup, Diggy? 'Sup, Khalil?" I greet my guy friends. "I see you've managed to conversate with one of Wesley High's Barbie dolls. I see you chose to actually wear clothes today, Dana. What a surprise."

Dana, the cheerleader they were talking to, rolled her eyes and said, "Very funny, Samantha. I see you decided to look like a girl today. I guess that manly routine wasn't really helping you, was it?"

Ugh, I hate her. Skip that, I hate pretty much every fake girl in this dumb school. They always hating on everyone else because they're pretty or rich, and they flirt with any guy that catches their eye. Lames.

"Whoa now. Stop the hating, you two. It's uncalled for," Diggy says.

"Yeah. Besides, Dana, you're too beautiful for that, girl," Khalil says, winking at her. I scrunch my face up at him and his pathetic act.

"I know," Dana replies with a toss of her hair, "I guess I'll see y'all at basketball practice after school. Bye." She walks away while sizing up the boys as I look on with disgust.

"Why do you guys even talk to her?" I ask once she's out of sight. I'm ready to head to my first class.

"Because she's a girl," Khalil shrugs. "But not any girl. She's a cheerleader. And we're basketball players. Do the math."

"Whatever..." I start walking down the hall and mumbling to myself with Becca right by my side. Diggy and Khalil eventually catch up with us.

"Anyways, back to homecoming..." Becca starts again. "If you don't ask Chris, I will ask him for you."