Chapter 2

The camp awoke slowly as the dawn patrol headed out. Willowpaw was in a comfy position and didn't notice that Rubypaw, Deerpaw, and Scorchpaw had left with Duskshadow, Rubypaw's mentor, and Bloodnight, who was Deerpaws mentor, and Petalfire. She stood up slowly. Silverpaw was standing over her.
"Come on, sleepy head! We get to leave camp today!"

Willowpaw blinked her eyes open. "Oh yes! Finally!"

They ran outside to Swallowtail, Eagleheart, and Spiritcloud who were waiting for them at the fresh-kill pile, Blackfang was there too.

Swallowtail looked at them with wide eyes. "Where have you two been! The dawn patrol left ages ago!"

Eagleheart rolled his yellow eyes and said, "Get off them you mouse-brain. It's their first day as apprentices." he glanced at Blackfang and purred. "And Blackfang has something he would like to tell the entire clan." he added sarcastically.

"Midnightstorm is having my kits!" Blackfang purred.

Willowpaw brightened, and Silverpaw must have too, because she said, "Congratulations! Kits are always a good sign."

Willowpaw purred. "Tell Midnightstorm that we wish her the best."

Swallowtail looked at Blackfang then back at Willowpaw. "I think that now it's time to go have a look around the territory."

Eagleheart licked Silverpaws head and whispered something to her. Silverpaw smiled at her father, and ran over to the entrance of camp. "Come on!" She said.

The four of them left the camp, Eagleheart, and Blackfang. Willowpaw couldn't wait to explore the territory.

"Willowpaw, Silverpaw, welcome to the Sky Meadows." Spiritcloud made a gesture with her paw. The Sky Meadows were a big open area filled with flowers of all shapes and sizes. "Can you both tell me the other Clans now?" Swallowtail asked.

Silverpaw groaned. They had known this since they were kits. Willowpaw decided to start.

"There are four Clans. MountainClan, Which we are, and Bright Clan, who live in the open moor." She explained. Silverpaw took up the conversation.

"Then there is Forest Clan, they live in the tall forests over there." She pointed to a thick forest just over the hills. "And last is SeaClan who live by the water." She shifted her paw over to the lake.

"Well done! You both know the clans really well."

Suddenly a yowl sounded from the direction of the camp.

"Swallowtail! Spiritcloud! Fox in the camp! Come quick!" k

Spiritcloud looked as if someone was attacking her. Then she darted in the direction of camp and yowled.

Swallowtail screeched and sprinted after Spiritcloud, leaving the two apprentices alone.

"We need to go and help!" Silverpaw yelped and tried to run off, but Willowpaw had already jumped on her tail.

"We don't know any battle moves though!"

"Then we should make sure that the elders and queens are out of camp. You go to the nursery and bring the queens to the . . . Oh, what about the mirror pool! I'll get the elders!" They both ran off to the camp.

Silverpaw got there first and was already helping Strikeviper out through the dirt place tunnel. The fox was attacking Redstar. Willowpaw watched as Eagleheart jumped on the fox and scraped its eye. Snakewhisker pulled Redstar out of the foxes' reach.

Blackfang yowled and scraped at the foxes hind legs. "Get Midnightstorm and the other queens out!"

"Yes Blackfang!" She said back. But the fox fled out of the camp. Greenleaf rushed out of the medicine den with Sunnypaw. "Are the foxes gone?" As she said that, four more foxes dived into the camp. Redstar yowled. "Don't stop! Keep fighting!"

Willowpaw rushed into the nursery.

"Willowpaw!"

Willowpaw's mother Mosspoppy was trying to guide Midnightstorm out of the Nursery.

"Can I help?"

"Yes! Help get Midni-" Eveningsea suddenly went pale. "Fox."

Willowpaw whipped around to find an almost full grown fox slowly stalking into the Nursery. She yowled and Mosspoppy started hustling to get Midnightstorm out. "I'll distract the fox!" Eveningsea screeched. "Get Midnightstorm out!"

Willowpaw rushed to help. She lifted Midnightstorm's right arm, until she was steady, and Mosspoppy grabbed Midnightstorm's left to help her. They guided her out of the bracken at the end of the den. The end wall collapsed as they dragged her out. The bracken stabbed her arm.

"Let's bring her to the river!"

Willowpaw had seen the river earlier that day. It was a bright green stream that wove around the camp and then headed into Bright clan territory. They helped Midnightstorm up to a bed of moss next to the river. Right as they helped settle her down, Mosspoppy ran back to camp. Willowpaw decided to stay with Midnightstorm.

"Willowpaw, I am guessing that you haven't yet learned any battle moves."

"No Midnightstorm."

"Well could you help get the elders out then?"

"Of course! But I shouldn't leave you here."

"It's okay. I'll be fine."

She dashed off to camp. Ravenlight and Hazelwing were battling one of the foxes. Daisyshine and Falcontree were swiping at another foxes' sides while Eagleheart nipped its ear. Ashsong lay motionless on the ground. Her littermate, Lillyriver, crouched over her. Blackfang was trying to get her to move. Duskshadow and Redstar were biting at the third fox. Greenleaf and Sunnypaw were running around camp tending to everyone when they could, while staying out of the way of the foxes.

She ran to the elders' den.

"Willowpaw! It's okay! I got them all out." Silverpaw ran towards her.

"Even Smallthought?" Smallthought was a blind elder.
"Even Smallthought."

"Then I will go check on Midnightstorm and you go see if you can help Greenleaf with the medicine cat duties." She said quickly.

"See you later-" Silverpaw screeched as a fox lunged at her. Eagleheart slammed into it just before it hit her.
"Go! Now!" Silverpaw yowled.

She sprinted back to Midnightstorm.
Midnightstorm looked at her with wide eyes. "Blackfang," She whispered, "He is okay, right? And the rest of the Clan?"

"I- I don't know yet."

"I can't let my kits grow up without a father."

Willowpaw stared at her.

"Mosspoppy wasn't even in the Nursery yet when Lillyriver and Ashsong were born." Midnightstorm looked out to Forestclan territory. "I remember that Daisyswish had stayed in the Nursery with them for a whole half a moon when her mate, Clawslash died. She wouldn't even eat. We were only able to convince her to come out when Lillyriver came down with Whitecough."

Grief stung Willowpaw as she remembered Ashsongs unmoving body in the camp.

Willowpaw started speaking without thinking. "Ashsong... She was a great cat." She shut her mouth almost instantly after she said it.

Midnightstorm froze. "Was?" she said in a hoarse voice. "Was?" she repeated, louder and more urgent. "Ashsong is dead?!" She yowled.

Willowpaw fought herself, trying not to run.

Midnightstorm let out a loud wail. She and Ashsong had been great friends.

"Willowpaw!" She heard, just as Greenleaf, Blackfang, and Swallowtail bounded over the hill.
Blackfang rushed to Midnightstorm's side. Midnightstorm covered her head with her paws.

Greenleaf spoke first. "Is everything alright?"
"Yes..."
"Did you tell her about Ashsong?"

"Accidentally."

Greenleaf sighed. "Redstar lost a life. She is down to her fourth life."

Swallowtail looked at her. "We will hold a vigil tonight."