Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

Brice politely waved his good byes as people filed out of the church. Service was over and it was time for everybody to go about their normal daily business. An elderly man stopped on his way out.

The old man leaned on his wooden cane and showed off his few teeth with a bright smile. "Welcome home, Brice." He told the blonde. What with Brice being so tall the teenager had to look down to greet him back.

Brice smiled back and held the door open for him. "Good to be home, mister."

Once the doors of the church closed Brice took a deep breath. He heard his father do the same. "Same routine, eh son?" He said, clapping a hand on Brice's shoulder. The young adult nodded. "Back to the grind. I just wish something exciting could happen." He murmured.

"I think this town has had enough excitement to last us until next century." His father chuckled. "Let's just enjoy the peace for awhile."

Brice rolled his eyes. "Not like I had enough of that at moms house." He sarcastically said. His dad gave a deep chuckle. "That crazy woman." He shook his head.

His father snuffed out the candles next to the podium and placed out new ones. Even after service the place had to look nice. The church was treated like a relic.

Brice walked to the window and looked out at the fields again. The village truly was beautiful now. He found his hand hovering over the glass of the window. He leaned on it with a grin.

"Father." He said. "I'm going to the river. I haven't been there in ages. I'll prepare food when I return." As he spoke, Brice started unbuttoning his dress shirt, showing off his yellow under shirt.

His father watched as Brice walked the aisle down to the front doors again. "No need to worry about that. I'll just buy some from the market." He said.

"Okay." Brice said. Truth be told he actually wanted to cook, though he'd never oppose anything his father said. He hardly ever had anything to do. "I'll probably be home by sundown. Don't wait up." Without even saying goodbye properly, he left.

Father Solace watched as his only son left. As he absently ruffled with the brightly colored flowers, he shook his head to himself. "The boy needs to find a girl." He quietly muttered.

Right when Brice walked out of the church the heat hit him. As he walked to the edge of the village he hummed inwardly to himself. 'Damn. I don't remember the last time it was this hot.'

By the time he reached the familiar stream, Brice had removed his long sleeve shirt to try and escape the heat. He smiled. The water in the stream was running so smoothly now in contrast to how it was when he left. The water was so pure that you could see the stones under the crystal ripples.

Brice wasted no time dropping to his knees on the damp dirt. He cupped his hands in the water and splashed it up his arms. He wiped his slightly reddened face down.

It felt refreshing. Brice sighed in content. He looked upwards at the thick green umbrella of leaves that hung over head. They were still since there was little to no wind. Dots and pin pricks of sun peeked and decorated the grass surrounding.

Brice laid back in the grass, kicked off his shoes, and let his feet rest in the cool water. The small waves lapped at his ankles and shins as the water streamed past.

Everything was quiet. He remembered having the peaceful quiet all the time here. Even when he was young and spent his time with Mitch and Jerome, things were always quiet whenever they came to the stream. But sometimes the quiet becomes too much. Brice combed a hand through his hair.