I didn't even know what the teacher had been talking about, so far away in la-la land had my thoughts been.

"We've been talking about the basis for bigotry. What makes a person become a bigot. What are your thoughts?"

I waited to see if Aaron was going to be able to answer. I was just gonna pop my hand up and spew out some kind of answer if he couldn't. I didn't want him crawling back into that dark cave again.

He sat for a minute and then said softly, "A bigot is a person who is intolerant of anyone who doesn't believe what he believes and doesn't like anyone who is different from him. I kinda think a person becomes a bigot from what he's taught as he grows up. I mean, a little baby loves everyone. A little baby doesn't care what color someone is or what he's like as long as he's gentle. I think kids learn to be bigots from their parents and from the other kids at school. If the parents hate something, then the kid is likely to be that way too. If the other kids at school pick on a certain kid, then a kid learns what he has to be to get along."

"How do people show their bigotry?" Mr. Cantor went on.

"They make the person feel less than he is by trying to take away his dignity," Aaron mumbled.

Mr. Cantor turned to Allie Campbell. "Have you seen bigotry here at this school?"

Allie frowned, "Oh sure."

"Can you give me an example, no names?"

She thought for a minute. "If someone does something in a different way than everyone else, people say 'That's so gay'. I guess it isn't really right to say that, is it?"

"No," Mr. Cantor smiled at her, "It isn't."

***********************

Aaron was quiet as we drove over to the feed store that afternoon. I just let him find his way.

Mr. Strickland walked up as we were climbing out of the truck. "Hey, boys. Aaron, your dad came by this morning. I told him you'd be fine here and I'd get you home by 6:30 for dinner. You go straight home, okay?"

"Yes sir, Mr. Strickland," he replied, looking at the ground. It was as if hearing that his father had been there made things not so special after all.

I watched curiously as Mr. Strickland patted Aaron on the shoulder and said softly, "You have friends here, Aaron. Just take deep breaths."

Aaron's head jerked up and he met Mr. Strickland's eyes. Something passed between them and Aaron seemed to relax. His smile came back and he really did take a deep breath.

We worked together unloading 50 pound bags of dog food and some new cattle feeders. It was hard work but the money was good and now I had Aaron here to talk to.

We took a break, grabbed a couple of cokes, and sat under a big old cottonwood that shaded the back parking lot.

"I liked what you said in class today," I said.

Aaron looked away from me, his voice low. "It's just so wrong to hate someone for the color of their skin or what they believe in or how they're born."

"I agree totally. You'd think people would have enough to worry about just taking care of themselves. It's like the church people and how their way is the only way." I realized what I'd said. "Oh, I don't mean you, Aaron."

"Nah, that's okay. I know what you mean. And besides, I don't believe in church anymore."

Whoa......that was big coming from him. "Aaron, you know you can tell me anything, right? I think we've established that we're friends."