twenty nine | Malacai

Start from the beginning

Speaking of animals.

"Micah..." I clear my throat, remembering that a certain conversation topic is what we have to reach at some point of this date. I clear my throat, taking a sip of my lemonade before dusting my hand on my dress.

The boy turns his head to look at me.

"If you don't mind, I wanted us to talk about something."

He hums, reaches over to pause the film before he turns to me. Matter of fact, he shifts his body so he is facing me properly. "What is it?"

I clear my throat again. "So, let's say hypothetically, I find out that you're more than just... a wolf."

Immediately, he raises an eyebrow at me before chuckling. "This isn't hypothetical. I knew Matt and his big mouth couldn't keep it in for as long as this. He told you, didn't he?"

"What? Of course not." I click my tongue, forcing a light laughter out of me as I wave my hand as though to disregard his ridiculousness which isn't ridiculous at all. "I mean, what even is Matt? Like, the mat on the ground—"

"You don't need to pretend, mate. Actually, if you avoid lying to me, it would do us both a favour." His eyes squint a bit as his lips press to a slight frown. "Matthew told you."

Slowly, my lips form a pout and I reach over to my lemonade, taking a slow sip of it. I peek at him through my lashes, blinking repeatedly when I see he is very much still watching me. I gulp the content before clearing my throat.

"Okay, so maybe Matthew said something. I asked him anyway, so I guess he isn't to blame. My point is,  I found out that you're more than what you say you are."

"What am I?"

"An... Alpha." I mutter. "You're an Alpha, aren't you?"

He sighs softly, lifting his hand to scratch his forehead a bit. "Does it matter?"

My mind instantly tells me to lose it, go ballistic and tell him that he is indeed ridiculous to think it doesn't, especially with how long he's been going on and not saying a thing. Did he think I wouldn't find out?

I gulp my instincts, clearing my throat again. "Ahm... did you not think that that would be something I should know considering... you know, the whole idea of being mates?"

"I don't think it's that much of a big deal. Besides, I just started gaining your trust and your willingness to be open to this. I didn't want to load you more with the fact that I may or may not be the future Alpha outside of my consent."

"Micah, maybe you should have told me earlier. That you're a wolf and Alpha. Get it over and done with. Hearing it from your friend is crazy. I mean, he has his own ambitions alongside the idea of you being Alpha. He even said you're not doing things how it's traditionally done. I don't exactly know what that means, but Andrea explained a bit so I guess maybe I kind of understand? My point is, Micah, that you being an Alpha means what for me? I'm Luna? Luna of a pack? Doesn't that sound like something I should know ahead of time?"

His lips part for him to say something, but rather, a huff escapes his lips and he squeezes his eyes shut for a good moment. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"I don't— look. I'm not looking for an apology. I'm trying not to react how I want to. I'm trying to be patient and understanding. That means you have to be open with stuff like this. I'm closer to the age where having a heart attack is possible."

Micah laughs lightly, eyes twinkling at my words. I can't even help but smile brightly at how pretty he looks.

"Yeah, I get you."