Brave for Each Other

Start from the beginning

"Hey, guys!" Margot greeted, waving cheerily at Jason and Chrissy as we walked by them.

Chrissy returned her wave and smiled at me. I grinned back and nodded at Jason. He nodded coolly at me – not totally icing me out, but not exactly welcoming me. I walked Margot to her locker and leaned against the lockers around hers, grinning at her as she started unpacking her bag. She looked up at me shyly.

"Still want to be in public with me?" she asked, bashfully. My eyes widened and I nodded enthusiastically.

"Absolutely, princess!" I insisted, placing a hand on the small of her back. She grinned, blushing, and turned back to her locker. I watched her and twisted my hand in her hair, stroking it gently. She shivered.

"You can't do that to me, you're distracting," she said quietly, almost to herself. I grinned and pulled on her hair softly, making her look at me. She smiled, her cheeks still flushed.

"Big talk coming from you," I flirted before kissing her softly. She sighed happily as I pulled back and closed her locker.

"Walk me to class?" she asked. I grinned and wrapped her in my arms.

"Don't need to ask me twice," I quipped, pulling her along. She leaned into me and was greeting bewildered people that were waving at her. I felt my chest tighten with pride as she wrapped an arm around me.

"This is so much better than sneaking around," she commented. I smiled and kissed her temple. She was right. I don't even know what I had been nervous about. We got to her class, and I turned to her, grasping her hands. She beamed up at me and my heart caught.

"Last chance to ditch school," I offered, raising an eyebrow. She laughed and shook her head.

"Nice try, you dork," she teased. I grinned and wrapped a hand around the back of her neck and pulled her to my lips, kissing her hard. She melted into me, pressing a hand to my chest. I pulled back and kissed her forehead softly.

"Offer stands if you change your mind," I joked. She smiled and nodded before dropping me and going to class. I grinned as I watched her sit at her desk and winked at her when she shooed me away. I started walking away when a group of guys stopped me. I felt my stomach drop, and I remembered why I was so worried when we got to school this morning.

It was a mix of popular and not-as-popular boys, and I swallowed hard. They were all watching me closely.

"H-hey, guys," I greeted nervously. One in the middle crossed his arms.

"Were you the one walking around with Margot Patterson?" he asked. I felt very vulnerable. I nodded nervously.

"Y-yeah, s-she's my girlfriend," I stammered. They all looked at each other and came back to me.

"Don't you run some dorky club?" a tall one asked. I recognized him from the two parties Margot had brought me to. I scratched the back of my head.

"I mean, I don't think it's dorky, it's a Dungeons and Dragons club—"

"And she's your girlfriend?" one asked. I looked between them all, unsure of how to answer.

"I, uh, I mean, yeah," I answered. They continued to watch me, and I felt a strange tension. I felt like I was preparing for a fight. One cleared his throat.

"How did you pull that off?"

I blinked hard and shook my head.

"W-what?"

"How did you manage to land Margot Patterson, man? She's, like, a goddess," the first one said.

"Yeah, and you're normal," one added.

I felt a smile spread across my face and my chest filled with pride. I shrugged.

"I have no idea why she's with me, either, guys," I admitted. They all laughed and gathered around me, walking with me.

"Dude, you're a fucking legend," one said, clapping my back. The other guys agreed, and I felt my face flush.

I really was.

---

I tried to pay attention in class but was constantly distracted at the thought of seeing Eddie again. I scratched my neck, tracing the hickeys I knew Eddie had left there. I glanced over and noticed two girls talking to each other and staring at me. I glared at them, and they flushed, suddenly stopping. I turned back to the front, trying to focus. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned to the two girls and raised an eyebrow. One leaned over.

"Did Eddie Munson walk you to class this morning?" she asked, her voice low. I felt my heart skip. I nodded as an answer. Her eyes widened and she looked at her friend before turning back to her friend. Her friend leaned close.

"Are you two...together?"

"He's my boyfriend," I answered in a whisper. Their jaws dropped. The second one shook her head.

"But you're, like, popular!" she whisper-yelled. I felt my face flush and shrugged.

"So? I like him," I replied. She closed her eyes and scoffed.

"I just can't believe it," she said. Her friend leaned over.

"I mean, he's always been kind of hot, just a little weird," the friend said. My eyes flashed.

"Do you mind not talking about how hot you think my boyfriend is?" I hissed. I was surprised by my venom – I was learning that I was a jealous person. They shrunk into their chairs, and I glared ahead. The bell finally rang, and I shot up, throwing my bag over my shoulder. I stormed out of the room, grouchy and full of fury.

I immediately melted when someone caught my arm, twisting me into his arms. I grinned up at Eddie as he beamed down at me, pulling me tight to him.

"Hi, princess," he said quietly before kissing me sweetly. I sighed happily, forgetting about my jealousy from earlier and kissing him back.

"Hi, Sir Tiebaut," I replied. He wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close as we walked down the hallway. I leaned my head on his shoulder. I noticed the stares of people – bewildered glares and hushed whispers as we walked by. But now, I noticed something different.

I noticed all the girls staring at Eddie, whispering and giggling as we walked by. Our relationship had drawn attention to him, and now people were noticing the things I loved about him. I felt jealousy burn through my chest.

"You okay, Go? You're quiet," he commented. I sighed and looked up at him. He was giddier than usual, touchier and goofier than he had ever been. He placed a hand on the side of my face, stroking my cheek with my thumb.

"People are staring," I answered. He furrowed his brows and traced my lips with his thumb.

"They have all morning," he answered, oblivious. I rolled my eyes, embarrassed by what I was about to admit. He was going to let it get to his head and torture me.

"I mean, well, like, no, I meant that...ugh, I meant that girls are staring," I explained. He was confused and I pressed my head to his chest. "Girls are staring at you."

I finally looked up, and he was wearing a smirk. I groaned as he pulled me closer.

"Princess, are you jealous?" he teased. I laughed as he started peppering my face with kisses. I pulled back and sighed.

"A little – you're my knight in shining armor," I answered. He grinned and kissed me quickly.

"Don't worry about them – I've only got eyes for you," he assured. I smiled and tucked a curl behind his ear. I felt a wave of emotions again. This was worth it. He was worth it. I got close to his face.

"Does the offer to skip school still stand?" I asked. He grinned wickedly and pressed his forehead to mine. 

"Does a bear shit in the woods?" he teased back.