Chapter 26- One Big Happy Family

Start from the beginning

"We are making a few final touches tomorrow, but after that everything is set. The buffet area is ready to go too. We just need the food and the cake of course," Darby explains.

"They are both going to be delivered during the ceremony," my mom continues from where Darby left off. "All you need to worry about that day is waking up, getting ready in time, and walking down the aisle." She turns to James, "and you only need to worry about waking up, getting ready in time, and waiting at the alter."

"Don't forget your vows," my dad speaks up.

"Right, yes, those too," my mom sighs.

"I remember mine word for word," James smiles at me.

"I'm all set," I tell everyone. I wrote my vows last week. I know James has had his prepared for way longer than me but everytime I sat down to get them written out I would break into happy tears, picturing myself reading them to the love of my life.

"Good," Lucas chimes in for the first time in nearly ten minutes. "Is Julian watching the ranch for you while you're gone?"

"Yup," James nods with his response.

"He's making us pay him with food," I laugh.

"Smart kid," Lucas chuckles. "You're an amazing cook so I don't blame him."

"And what am I? Chopped liver?" Darby gasps.

"You're the best wife," Lucas winks at her, making her blush.

My mom clears her throat, eyeing my dad. "You're my best friend and favorite coworker," he rushes out. She nods with satisfaction.

I don't force an answer about how great I am out of James. He tells me multiple times every single day. Especially at night when we are in bed together... I'd be a liar if I said I didn't thrive off of his praise during sex.

"What are you doing for the 4th?" Darby asks.

"Me and James are going to a bonfire with Seth, Lola, Preston, Julian, and Sierra," I tell them. "What are you doing?"

"Going to see the fireworks that the town is putting on in the park," Lucas says.

"We'll join you," my dad elects himself and my mother.

"That sounds lovely," my mom chimes in.

"We should be able to see the fireworks from the bonfire," James whispers to me. I turn to face him with a grin.

"Really?!" I whisper squeal. He nods his head, a grin spreading across his own face, his eyes dancing with excitement.

"What are you two being so secretive about?" Darby asks, amusement in her words.

I turn to find the four other people in the room smiling at us over their plates. "Oh um, the fireworks should be visible from where the bonfire is," James explains.

"Are you not doing your own fireworks?" Lucas asks.

"No," I shake my head. "Sierra doesn't like them." Oohs and ahhs sound from the group.

"Poor baby," my mom sighs.

"They're pretty but so noisy," Darby complains.

"Agreed," I nod. Lucas and James give us all looks before staring at each other and shaking their heads.

"Women," Lucas grumbles under his breath. I kick James under the table, which sufficiently cuts off any response he would have had. He doesn't even look up from his dinner. I have a feeling he would have called his grandfather out, but I'm not willing to test that theory.

"Remember, I cook the food and could poison you at any moment," Darby reminds him. Lucas's eyes go wide and he stops chewing. We all burst into laughter.

"She didn't, don't worry," my mom laughs.

"Feminism helps everyone," my dad speaks up.

"Truth," James agrees. Us women all nod in agreement while Lucas looks at all of us in bewilderment.

"What about tomorrow?" Darby asks, changing to a lighter subject.

"Lamont and I are going to shop at the farmer's market for little things to take back home," my mom says.

"Support small and local businesses," my dad adds. Everyone nods in consensus, even Lucas.

"James and I are laying around the house and relaxing," I say.

"Much needed 1 on 1 time," he smiles at me. My mom and Darby set off a chain of awwws making everyone shake their heads and me to smile at James. He smiles back and reaches over to grab my hand in his, lacing our fingers together.

"What about you?" I ask Darby or Lucas, turning back to the group.

"Working at the dinner," Lucas says. "Hopefully it isn't that busy."

"I can come in and help if you need me," I volunteer.

"Nonsense," Darby waves me off. "You enjoy your last two days before the wedding and after your honeymoon you can come back in."

"And it's our last day of business until the 6th anyways," Lucas agrees. I sigh but don't argue. It would be a fruitless effort and everyone knows it.