Preface

(The Picture is Mandy {I OWN NO PICTURES< THEY ARE ALL FROM GOOGLE} and if you click on the external link you can see the other main characters ♥)

My parents have just called me into the living room. It's already 7:30 p.m. Usually my parents don't want anything to do with me after dinner. So here I find myself wondering: What did I do wrong now?

My mom pats the chair that they have placed in front of the couch where they sit. Great, we're going to talk.

"Amanda," my mom begins to say, but I cut her off.

"Mandy, mom." I correct her politely.

"Oops, sorry." My mom says. I can see my dad roll his eyes. I ignore him. My mom continues, "Well, Mandy. Your father and I have something very important to tell you. Yesterday, we called a place called Mr. Anderson's Boarding School. It's an all boys school."

I look at her confused. "A boys boarding school?" I ask.

"Yes," My mom says. "We asked of they would make just one exception and allow a girl with a 4.0 grade point average attend to their school. They said yes, but it would have to stay on the 'down low'- they would appreciate the good grades to help their school."

I am still confused.. What is she talking about?

My dad stares and me, and then blows up. "For gods sake! You have a 4.0 grade average! How are you not catching on? We are sending you to an all boys school! You will be surrounded by boys! You are going to have to learn to be less girly." My dad screams.

I think about this for a second. I noticed how he said the word 'girly' as if it was a bad thing.

"I can't go there." I protest. "It's an all boys school, and, unless I have this whole biology thing backwards, I am a girl!" 

"Exactly! Too much of a girl!" My dad argues back.

I take a moment to calm down, and to take in what they have just told me.

"So, let me get this straight." I say, looking at my parents. "You called an all boys school and asked if I could go there... Because you want me to be less girly?!?"

My parents aren't smiling. They wait a moment to answer. "Yes. That's exactly why." My mom says.

"We always wanted a boy anyways, perhaps when you come back you will be 'one of the guys'" My dad says. "Now go pack your bags, you leave tomorrow."

I stand up, tears fighting to leave my eyes. I walk to my room as calmly as possible. But once I'm in my room I curl up in a ball. "I love you too, I'm sorry I wasn't a boy," I sob.

After a while I hear my parents get up and go to bed. I decide then, that I should go pack. I don't want to make them angry. And, knowing them, we will be up bright and early to leave. My dad would make me leave now if he could. But apparently, he has to wait until tomorrow. Once I'm done shoving things into my bags I crawl under my blanket and hug my pillow. I also make a mental note to grab this pillow before we leave.

I cry myself to sleep.

It's the last time I will be able to cry myself to sleep. Tomorrow I will be surrounded by boys. And there's no-way I'm going to cry in front of them.

I will not show weakness. Even if it kills me.

I may be a girl, but I'm not going to let them get to me.

I won't.