the pencil i loaned him.

my phone has been blowing up with notifications from people that i graduated with, talking about this quinn hughes kid.

i remember him, i do. i just remember how thoughtless he was.

now he wasn't rude to me but he did always want to me my partner for group work, that way he didn't have to do anything, because he was thoughtless. did things last minute.

but then he moved to michigan to play hockey, and i did miss him.

everyone wants me to reach out to him because he was wants to talk to me again.

at first i thought maybe he wants to apologize to me, but i remember him being a bully towards me in school. maybe he found the pencil i loaned him?

i dont need that back.

when i was in scotland at the golf course, one of my employees gave me a piece of paper that quinn had left me.

it had his name & phone number on it.

now a week later i've finally found the courage to text him.

imessage

dottie
hey
its dottie douglas. im sorry for how our interaction went at the golf course. i wasn't expecting to see you and talk about high school, those are memories i want to forget. i dont want to be remembered as the girl who got bullied. i hope you understand and we can reconnect soon.

quinn
hey dottie
please don't apologize, its my fault for telling everyone what happened in high school. i would like to see you again soon, in person. what does your schedule look like? training camp start's september 20th and id like to have you in vancouver for a few days, if you're comfortable with that. i can get you a room close my apartment and we can spend a day or two reconnecting or i have a guest bedroom at my apartment.

dottie
just tell me the dates, my schedules open.

quinn
25-27?

dottie
sounds great and i can get a place to stay, dont worry about that

quinn
anything you want to do while you're here?

dottie
great question
im not sure. nothing crazy please.

quinn
we can make plans when you get here. nothing big, im cool with hanging out at the house and talking. i didn't think id ever find you again.

dottie
why have you been looking for me?

quinn
i want to take you on a date. let's reconnect.

dottie
if your whole plan for this is to get me in your bed, you can forget about this. i remember you hooking up with lots of girls in high school and im not going for you to complete the quest of having every girl you graduated with in your bed.

quinn
no dottie. that's absolutely not what this is. please understand that ive been in love with you for years now dottie

dottie
we can talk more in vancouver about this. thanks for getting back to me quickly!

quinn
i've literally been waiting for your text/call

dottie
im sorry for keeping you waiting, i was beyond nervous but im looking forward to seeing you again.

quinn
dont worry about it too much dottie, ill keep you safe this week.
i cant wait too see again!

-

in love with me?

yeah how funny.

im sure he is.

quinn dated the popular girls in high school. you know, the cheerleaders & volleyball players. the girls who were at every sporting event to cheer on their boyfriends.

i was president of the book club & i ate lunch by myself. i only went to a couple sporting events but that's because my dad wanted to go.

and what are the chances of him being in scotland?

now im going home to vancouver in a week. vancouver, where i live. vancouver, where he plays.

vancouver.

michigan. scotland. vancouver.

the worlds too damn small.

this could totally be a joke too.

because as far as i know, quinn has no idea i live in vancouver. no one does. he must think this is my first time going.

i huffed and sat back in my bed, giving up on packing to head to vancouver.

i opened instagram and searched him name, seeing a ton of hockey pictures with some occasional golf pictures.

out of all the golf courses, we somehow where at the same one.

i clicked on his friends, trying to see who was with him when we saw each other in scotland.

i dont know much about hockey.

yes i know i live in michigan & vancouver and know nothing about hockey.

i know everything about golf.

maybe we can go golfing in vancouver.

dottie
golf?

quinn
oh now you're talking my language!