🧸 Kaput - The Toy Maker 🧸

The same day auntie had given Cindy a teddy, the teddy ended up being torn apart in a fight between Cindy and her jealous brother Danny.

The teddy hadn't even yet gotten a name and was already discarded with the trash.

It broke auntie's heart to see how miserable and mistreated poor teddy had been by the people who should have cared for it.

She picked teddy and his torn off arm and leg out off the dustbin and gently kissed its head.

"Don't worry, little one. I promise to make this right."

She carefully tucked teddy in her purse and left the house.

☆:🧸:☆

The sun was already setting when auntie reached the outskirts of town.

She upped her pace as she walked down the winding road leading her uphill towards the woods.

It was already getting dark when lights burning in the small lonely house near the woods told her she was finally there.

She was about to knock on the door when a wolf howled close-by.

She remembered all the rumours she had heard about the person living here.

He was considered a hideous creature - shun by the village.

To hide his hideousness, he only left his house at night and some say that he turned into a wolf to do so.

Auntie wondered if he was the one who just howled telling her to go away.

With her heart beating in her throat, auntie knocked on the door. 

The lights in the house were turned down, but not completely out. Shapes could still vaguely be distinguished through the windows, but long shadows made it impossible to see much.

The door went open, but not too far; far enough to let sound go through, but not far enough for auntie to figure out the shape of whoever stood in the darkned doorway.

His voice was harsh. "What do you want?"

Auntie strained her eyes, but couldn't tell where to look or what she saw.
"I... Are you... Are the rumours right about you being able to repair what is broken?"

A wolf howled closer-by.

"Shit," the figure said. "Are you here by car?"

"No, I'm afoot."

"Stupid human. It's not safe in these parts at night. Didn't the rumours tell you I'm - what do they say again? - a bloody werewolf or some kind."

Heavy footsteps neared the house. Gruntled breathing lingered in the air, ready to attack.

The figure grabbed auntie's arm, pulled her in the house and closed the door yelling: "Not today!"

The figure barricaded the door and then limped into what auntie could only imagine being a living room.

"Take a seat," the figure said as he let himself fall into a couch. He leaned forward. Auntie heard something screeching as the figure continued talking.

"I hope you don't have to be somewhere else tonight.

That wolf isn't going anywhere before the first cars drive past at sunrise."

The figure took off what seemed to be his leg and placed it on the floor near the couch. He then scrambled around the floor and crawled back in the couch holding another leg.

Auntie was fascinated by what she saw and wondered how many legs there were scattered on the floor and why the figure had needed a different one.

Auntie heard more screeching.