Chapter 35: The Casualties of War

Start from the beginning

"You try my patience" the Undead Captain spat and lifted his hand, ready to hit her... when he felt it.

The sharp pain coming from his chest, the coldness that quickly spread across his body. He let go of his sword and took a few steps back. His eyes went to his heart which had been stabbed. However, it was Will who had stabbed it with the help of Jack, who had held and guided his hand.

But in the end, it was Will's hand that was around the handle of the broken sword and he would be the next to take the role of the Captain.

He stumbled more, his back finding the wooden railing. Looking up at the clouds, he could only say one word. "Calypso"

He then fell back, forever taken by the maelstrom and the raging waters...never to be seen again.

Jack quickly stood up and rushed to Artemis, who managed to pull the sword off her. However, when she did that, more blood rushed out and whatever strength she had, disappeared. She started to feel weaker and she could no longer support herself. She started to fall forward, only for Jack to catch her and ease her landing; preventing her from crushing against the wet wooden floor of the deck.

"Easy lass," he said, holding her head on his lap as she lay there, bleeding out slowly.

Her eyes looked at Jack, a single tear at the edges, threatening to roll down. The coldness spread, coming also from her wet clothes and the raging winds. His face bent over hers, hiding the pictures of the dark clouds, something she was thankful for. At that moment, she preferred to see the warm brown eyes of the man she loved and not the ominous black clouds that reminded her of her doom.

Her hand weakly pressed on her wound, and he felt his hand, being pressed on top. However, it was not enough and the blood kept running through their fingers, her strength slowly leaving away.

"Ja-jack" she muttered, her blue lips quivering from the cold and the shock.

She did not expect to go out this way, but she did not mind. She was in the arms of the man she loved, and his face would be the last one to see. She didn't feel scared, not like the time with the bomb and the pirates.

This time, she felt certain. She had done something to help and managed to save those that she truly cared for. Maybe not all, but at least some of them and that was enough to justify the sharp pain coming from her wound and the metallic taste of blood in her mouth.

However, there was still a worry in her mind.

"...Ge-get...off..thi-this...ss-ship..." she stuttered, using every strength she had to put into moving her lips.

On cue, the two masts were freed since the Black Pearl shot a double-chained canon ball that broke through the woods. That meant that the Pearl was free and was already trying to escape.

However, the Dutchman headed straight for the endless abyss in the centre of the whirlpool.

At the same time, every cursed member started to slowly march towards the barely alive Will, chanting: "Part of the crew, part of the ship..."

Jack looked at everything and then at Elizabeth who kept shouting, begging Will not to leave her. He then looked down at Artemis who had a smile on her purple lips; a reassuring smile that everything would be alright.

Jack hadn't truly lost many people, for he had never truly opened himself to the point of caring to that extent. That was until he met her. From the moment at Port Royal, she had grabbed his attention and then each minute that passed with her; only made him want to be closer to her.

Now, after all, they had been through, their journey had to end and he felt it bitter in his mouth. He had other dreams for the two of them, when this battle would be over and when Jones would have long been defeated.

He took a deep breath, doing his best to remain strong for her. With their time almost up, he decided to give them one last parting kiss. Leaning forward, he gently placed his lips against hers, making sure to savour every moment of it.

It only lasted a few seconds but that was enough for them, for it looked like they would not have another chance together. Yet, as he looked down at her, he saw her giving a weak smile and it somehow eased the whole situation...just a little bit.

"...go..." her voice came out as a small whisper but he heard it either way.

Gently leaving her head on the floor, he rushed and grabbed Elizabeth from behind.

"Don't leave me! I won't leave you!" she shouted and tried to fight Jack but she couldn't. "Artemis!" she shouted, noticing the laying woman as she was pulled away, truly seeing that she had lost not one but two people she truly cared for.

The redhead turned her head weakly, keeping the same smile, giving it to the girl she saw as a younger sister for so many years. It ached to see the tears and hear her cries, having lost so many people in such an amount of time.

Yet, there was nothing to be done.

Jack managed to cut a piece of the ripped sail and use it as a parachute, letting the air shoot him upward and away from the ship. Elizabeth held tightly his waist and they both watched as the ship was taken by the waters, their loved ones together too.

EDITED: 12/3/2024