CHAPTER SEVEN

             Chapter seven

             Chapter seven

The news of Laena Velaryon’s death had carried itself across The Narrow Sea. Now her kin gathered around her childhood home to pay one last tribute.

Laena Velaryon was said to be a beautiful woman, people said with her Valyrian features she looked exactly like The Old King’s mother Alyssa Velaryon.

Now all that remained were her charred bones.

Aemma Velaryon looked over the waves crashing, her “ancestral” home was a beautiful place, yes. But it did not feel like a home like Dragonstone did. Maybe, it was because Aemma knew she had no claim to Driftmark. Her identity was a false one. No matter how much her parents or grandsire flaunted her as a Velaryon, she was never going to be one.

She heard the whispers, she knew the accusations, she may have shown not to care but she did. She felt like an imposter within her own skin. Especially, in front of all these dark skinned, silver haired Velaryons. She felt insecure.

She wished she had been born with those Velaryon looks, silver hair and dark skin. Her lilac eyes did not help her at all. Everyone had already judged her by the time they noticed her bloody eye colour.

Aemma didn't even have a Velaryon name like Jacaerys and Lucerys. She was named after a dead queen who wasn’t even a full Targaryen but an Arryn. She sometimes wondered if she would be ever welcomed in the Vale by her Arryn brood, she did resemble them.

She did not listen as Vaemond Velaryon spoke, gods knew that old slug was trying to find loopholes in his eulogy to insult her brothers and her, so she paid no mind, knowing her moral compass would go hayware if she listened. Instead, she was watching her aunt’s casket being thrown to the sea, in a Velaryon funeral.

Another relative she would never know. She wondered if she would be buried the same way.

Her whole family was here, her intended was here too. Not that she had talked with him. She didn’t even know if he knew of their arrangement. He had been eyeing her from far.

  She saw her mother enter the place, looking around. She finally saw Aemma standing with Lucerys and Jacaerys.

“Have you seen your father?” asked her mother as she approached them. Jacaerys and Lucerys shook their heads as Aemma said, “He is by the sea, mourning.”