Stubborness & Fathers Leave

Start from the beginning

Well..almost everything. 

"Oh Maddie, why didn't you come here? I am your mother, but I'm not here to judge you. I can't have you on the streets. Come home baby. We can talk about all of this soon. I'll see you when you get here. I love you." she said, as tears stung at my eyelids. 

"I love you too, I'll be there soon." I whispered, sniffling and hanging up the call. 

When I hung up the phone, I turned to see Laurie in her robe, watching me outside her front door. She saw the tears in my eyes, as she walked over and hugged me. 

"Just stay one more night, and I can drive you in the morning" she said, as I nodded. 

After another night to sleep on it, Laurie was helping me pack my bags into an Uber to the airport and wishing me off. 

"I'm sorry you had to hear-" Benny started, as I shook my head. 

"Don't be sorry, I get it" I said, as I gave him a hug and then to Laurie. 

"Call me when you get there safely! I love you" she said, as I smiled at her. 

"I will, thank you for this, I love you too" I said, as I climbed into the Uber. 

My mother lived in my hometown of Scattervale, and as much as I loved this city, It did feel as though I needed a new change of scenery. Everything downhill in my life happened here, and to just get away for a few months, sounded very appealing to me. 

As I was riding to my childhood home, I thought about my conversation with Hayden. But it also made me sick to my stomach that he never put forth the effort to talk to me afterwards. To say anything about the sake of our child. But then again, he was probably just respecting my wishes. After all, I told him to stay away from me. 

"Here you are mam" the Uber driver said, as I grinned. 

"Thanks" I said, as he helped me pull the bags out of the trunk. 

My mother was standing outside of the house, smiling at me, as a warmth of safety and comfort washed over me.

 "Mom" I said, as she opened her arms and caught me in a hug. 

She smelled exactly the same, cinnamon with roses, what a significant combination that I've memorized since birth. Her hair was shorter, blonde waves that came her to shoulders. And her eyes were kinder, blue with specks of green. Her smile remained the same, always reminding me where I received mine from. 

"Come inside baby" she said, lifting a few of my bags, as we walked inside my childhood home.

 It was a beach house, right by the ocean. An open floor plan once you walked inside the house, windows from floor to ceiling of the ocean to our right. And the one thing I liked most was that the sunset was able to be seen and admired from the roof. We had a lot of campfire's up there. 

I walked to my room which hadn't changed at all, small photo frames of me in school plays and school spelling bees. A few trophies here and there of participation in soccer and good sportsmanship in decathlons. Yes, I certainly was a smart kid back then. My mother placed my bags on my bed, as she caressed my shoulder.

 "I'll let you get settled" she said, as I placed my purse on the bed too. 

Very fond memories here since I was a little girl. I walked over to the sliding doors in my room, as I stepped out to a small porch facing the water. I closed my eyes and smelled the air. There was something about the smell of the ocean that made me so content. And it was times like these where I forget why I wanted to leave this place in the beginning. I gripped the porch fence, and looked up at the blue sky.