ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 54

"I MEAN, OF COURSE, I HAVE A PRACTICE WITH ETERNITY, being in an immortal prison and all, but I can't get my head around how you guys do it. The world out here is changing every day, unlike the one I was in. And if you are spending a few hundred years in a boxed coffin, you always wake up to a new world. I mean, I was only locked away for about 16 years or so, and, yet, so much has changed. It's like total zombie land here, you know? -minus the zombies, of course, but you get my point."

Words seemed to be pouring out of Kai in a torrent in a true Malachai fashion, testing Kol's mounting patience with each passing second. Even as Kol sat in the front seat with his eyes closed, he appeared to be mentally counting from ten to ten thousand, striving to maintain his composure, and that in itself could be likened to a Herculean task if you spend time with Kai as they had.

It had seemed that after years of solitude and incarceration, the Gemini siphoner had finally found a target upon which he'd vent his wrath, headache, and general dissatisfaction with the world. And god, did he have so much to say about everything!

"Is it physically impossible for you to be quiet?" Kol Mikaelson's lips curl back in an almost snarl, a fierce expression that Catherine suspects he might not even realize he's making. They learned quickly enough that Kai had a way of bringing out the worst in people when they found themselves in his shared proximity for too long to be considered healthy, which generally meant two hours at your best and two seconds at your worst.

"I did not miss this," The female vampire muttered to herself, sounding half exasperated and annoyed. In the sideview mirror, she could see the White SUV alter its course to overtake them, and she let it. They weren't in any hurry, but the way the road trip had been going, she was reassessing the plan.

"But Cola, as a young vampire, it's only natural I will have questions," Kai slid a hand across the car seat until he was close enough to look Kol in the eyes. She could see on the third finger a silver ring set with lapis lazuli, something he had made for himself after his transition. "And you are the oldest out of us two. You are the oldest out of everyone there is in the world. Even older than sliced bread—"

"Are we going on this trip to Muder Silas or me?" With a look of accusation, Kol swung around to stare at the female vampire from the passenger side of the seat with one of his green sneakers braced against the dashboard, for which Catherine would've scolded him if it were her car. But sadly, it wasn't.

"Do you want the truth or—" Kai prompted to speak. "—Kidding," he added, seeming to think twice after the particularly vicious glare Kol sent his way. "I was just kidding," he backtracked cleverly, understanding the dire need for self-preservation as he leaned back into the soft leathers. Kai Parker could no longer tempt death. Not when he wasn't in the prison world where he could be revived again and again for all eternity. But not even a second later, he was inclining forward again, this time to face the driver's seat, his thirst for chaos overruling all else. "Oh, by the way, Rina, speaking of truth, I read those Harry Potter books. And Cory and I were right. Dumbledore is the real villain."