Twenty Four Hours

Author's Note: What happened the day before LBPD's Officer James Street started in Metro SWAT? Find out what happened 24 hours before the start of his very first shift with Twenty Squad.

******

"Yo, Jimmie!" called the man behind the counter.

Officer James Street had just started shift. Slow morning meant jokes back at the station, then patrolling the streets for a couple of hours til lunch. That, of course, required a mandatory donut run during patrol hours!

"Hey, Oscar!" he greeted, while stepping into the small bakery.

The smell of freshly made sweets was very pleasing to the incoming officers. Nothing like the sweet smell of cinnamon and sugar to spike up the morning vibes. Jim took a look around, and waited for his partner to make the order.

As he waited, he browsed through the offerings until a pair of young men came in, both dressed with thick jackets, hoodie over their heads. Both were trying to catch their breaths, after rushing in to the store.

"You two alright?" Street asked them, while they looked everywhere suspiciously.

Both figures moved zoombie-like, with no real direction, both with their hands inside of their pants or jacket. Suddenly...

"YOU BETTER GET THE HELL OUT!" the man behind the counter shouted, pointing a small revolver at the pair of newcomers.

Jim and his partner opened their eyes wide and slid to the middle of the floor. An older lady, a younger couple and another gentlemen gasped in fear when they saw the gun.

"Put the gun down, Oscar!" Officer Fletcher called, extending his hand out to the worker.

When Jim turned to the guys up front, both exchanged looks, then retrieved their hands. His partner, Officer Fletcher, tried to keep the owner calm. In a blink of an eye, both newcomers opened fire with semiautomatic riffles...

POW POW POW POW POW POW POW

CRRASSSSHHHH

THUMP THUMP

Everyone threw themselves on the floor, while glass broke, canisters exploded, metals echoed...Debris, smoke, and dust came from within as the younger men continued to shoot aimlessly.

POW POW POW POW POW POW POW

CRRASSSSHHHH

Fletcher grabbed the speaker from his shoulder, "10-13, 10-13. Shots fired! Shots fired!"

No answer.

Jim turned to his partner, then noticed just above his head the metal front of the cash register reflected the image in real time. He could see the perps' movements and everything through the reflection. Right besides the machine, he noticed the opening to the kitchen. That's when he knew!

"Brian" he called, "take the hostages out the back. I'll engage!"

POW POW POW POW POW POW POW

THUMP THUMP

"You want me to leave you with these wackos? You crazy, Jim?" Fletcher demanded between the noise

"Just go!" he demanded, waving him off.

He crawled his way to one of the small tables towards the side wall, flipped it and kneeled down behind it, crouching to avoid any stray bullets.

SCCRREEEEASSSSHHHHH

The bullets suddenly stopped, as a car came to a screeching halt just outside of the front door.

"Go, Brian! Now!" Jim yelled, as four men got out of the car and ran towards the door.