Vol. 4/ Chapter 1: Arkangel

Start from the beginning

Now that she's inside, she spots an empty seat and table at the far corner of the huge mess hall. She gets to the counter and soon orders two deluxe chicken burgers and a large cola-loka, before slapping 300 £LMD on the counter. The operator, or chef, eyed her for a good second, before nodding at her.

After a good few minutes of drumming her fingers on the take out spot, her food is already made. She gives the server a reassuring downward nod before going towards her desired place.

It was a good spot; she could see everyone coming in or out of here. Noticing a few stares coming to her way, she mentally sighed and did her best to seem nonchalant. She sat comfortably with her back against the wall, and not long after, she began eating her food.

It was good, but cannot compete with the same cooking prowess of Jane or Nino. The thick cutout chicken matched the spicy mayo and freshly added lettuce, which she savoured every bit as she ate.

With the two Vouivre women crossing her mind, she couldn't help but feel bad for them. They housed Lee and her with good intentions, and now they're left with a mess they have to deal with on their own. The house and bakery probably sustained some damages, especially the backyard.

Speaking of Lee, as she slurped on the sweet contents of her cola, Alpha's appetite began souring immediately. Her brows furrowed as her mind raced deep in thought; she could only think of what's happened to her friend.

As far as she's concerned, the strange man clad in thick overalls- which ironically, they call 'The Doctor' (even though he looks nothing of the sort)- don't seem to have put an emphasis on Lee's importance. To the doctor, Lee was just a colleague if hers.

"Ouch," She thought. "and here I thought they had their eyes on him too."

Though she's not bragging about her being picked by Babel, the other... 'rival' organization that took Lee must've been targeting her too. It's just Lee was in the wrong place at the right time when they breached the house. Or maybe they got impressed with his skills at close-quarters-combat so they decided to pick and kidnap him instead.

It wasn't a far fetched thought that Lee must've taken down some of the soldiers too, since they technically fought the same kind of 'killteam' sent after them.

Her internal monologuing was interrupted when a thickset man in protective gear approached her table and cleared his throat. Alpha opened an eye and scanned him while eating the second chicken burger.

"Is this seat taken?" the man asked, although whoever with a negative IQ of 1 could see it was not.

Alpha mumbled,"Figures."

"Thought so. Guess you already know my name." he grunted as he puts down his own bowl of rice and curry. She eyed the shield and hammer he placed beside the table.

A peculiar weapon of choice, she thought.

"Age must be getting the better of you. Ever thought about retiring, Ace?" Alpha muttered, nudging with her lips at his hair. Some of it appears to be graying, especially his beard.

"Hah, got some humor in you too. And no, Babel needs everyone, especially now. It ain't the right time thinking about vacation." Ace responded with a lighthearted tone. Without the usual stoic voice, it seemed like he didn't want to flare up her aloof temperament.

Alpha didn't bother to answer, and they both ate their food in silence. A comfortable silence, which surprised even Alpha. The man was simply here to enjoy a nice, warm meal, and that was all there is.

After finishing her food, she discarded the junk in her tray into the trashcan, before making her way outside the mess hall. But before she could turn the corner, she nearly bumped into someone by the door.