Chapter Four

Kakashi Hatake had been enjoying a normal day, sitting on one of the logs that littered the grass floors of the training grounds as he read his book- that is, until two soulmates approached him; Rock Lee, who was enthusiastically running towards where the Jonin sat, and Neji Hyuga, who looked exasperated as he followed behind the excitable ravenette.

"Kakashi-Sensei!"

Kakashi sighed as the two boys stood in front of him, closing his book and standing up as well, pushing the copy of Icha Icha into his back pocket. He turned to Lee, who had addressed him, lazily raising an eyebrow and putting his hands in the front pockets of his pants.

"Lee. What's up?"

"I have a theory!"

"Oh no," Kakashi allowed his eyes to fall shut for a brief moment as he prepared for what the Taijutsu expert was about to say, already knowing that it was going to have something to do with the theory Sakura had mentioned.

"For the love of any God that may or may not exist, Lee, please leave him alone about this," Neji spoke, a sharp sigh leaving from in between his lips as he placed a hand on Lee's shoulder, though that didn't seem to kill his soulmate's excitement in the slightest. "It's absolutely ridi-"

"You and Guy-Sensei are soulmates!" Lee proclaimed, pointing at Kakashi as if he had succeeded in figuring out a great mystery- which, honestly, he had. That made Kakashi wonder if Guy knew- if he didn't already, surely, Lee would tell him about his (accurate) theory sometime soon. The thought was scary, to say the least, but he tried to act calm and collected.
"And where did you get this idea?"

"According to Sakura, you can see color, but you refuse to reveal who your soulmate is!" Ah. So him and Sakura had planned that together. "Guy-Sensei can't see color and hasn't found his soulmate despite traveling regularly, so I've decided that he must be your soulmate and vice versa, but he hasn't seen color because you always wear your mask, so he can't see your mouth move when you talk!"

"That's quite the assumption there, Lee," Kakashi tried his best to laugh it off, though it didn't seem to deter Lee all that much.

"Yeah, aren't you reaching?" Neji questioned, seemingly annoyed by the entire situation.

"I did say it was just a theory, but I believe it has promise! If Guy-Sensei isn't your soulmate, then who is?"

"...I don't feel the need to disclose that to you," He dodged the subject, raising a hand so he could rub the bridge of his nose between his thumb and pointer finger. "Why are you so invested in this, anyway?"

"Guy-Sensei has never been able to see color," Neji rolled his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest and shooting a glare in Lee's direction, clearly not wanting to be involved in this whatsoever. Of course, Kakashi understood- he wouldn't have wanted to be in the middle of his teammate meddling in their Sensei's love life either. "Lee feels bad for him despite the fact that the old man literally doesn't care and manages to be optimistic, and two of your students have apparently been hellbent on finding out who your soulmate is for years, so them and Lee began to work together on their ridiculous theories and Lee came to this asinine conclusion about a week ago."

"Thanks for the briefing, Neji," Kakashi muttered, somewhat sarcastic as he crossed his arms like Neji had just moments before.

"Traitor!" Lee exclaimed, eyes wide and thick eyebrows furrowing together as he pointed at Neji in an accusing manner. "How unyouthful!"

"Whatever," Neji rolled his eyes, a small smirk on his face as he grabbed Lee by the back of the collar of his jumpsuit, practically dragging him away. Lee let out an exaggerated groan but didn't object, simply allowing his soulmate to pull him along. "I have a good feeling that Sakura's going to be bothering him enough, so we should leave..." Kakashi heard bits and pieces of what Neji was saying as the two boys walked away, and he couldn't help but laugh as he shook his head.

"What dorks..." Kakashi stood there for a few moments, astounded by the encounter that had just happened, but nearly jumping when he heard a loud voice.

"My eternal rival!"

Without warning, Guy had run up to him, smile bright as ever. Kakashi kept his arms crossed, smirking underneath his mask as he quirked an eyebrow.

"You know you can call me by my name, right?"

"Kakashi!" The ravenette corrected himself, also crossing his arms, though Kakashi felt his heart drop as he realized that Guy could've been around to hear that entire conversation between him, Lee, and Neji.

"Were you listening to all of that?" He asked, trying to hide his nervousness. Part of him was glad that he had the forehead protector on, as it was concealing the cold sweat that had gathered on his forehead.

"Huh? Listening to what?" Guy was oblivious, his eyebrows raising as he tilted his head, giving Kakashi a ̶c̶u̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ curious look.

"You must not have been here yet. Your star student is meddling in my love life."

"Your love life!? Why, I didn't know you had one of those!" Guy spat, and if it were anyone else, Kakashi might've taken offense to it, but he could only bring himself to laugh.

"Rude, but you're not necessarily wrong, so I can't fault you for it," Kakashi gave a dismissive wave, watching as Guy blinked at his blunt statement. "Let me rephrase that. Your star student is meddling in my nonexistent love life."

"Oh! My apologies!" Guy exclaimed, dramatically placing a hand over his chest in that cute way he always did.

"Don't apologize, I just thought it was funny. Even Neji seems to know what's going on, which makes me think that Tenten would as well," He explained, gently drumming the fingers on one hand over one of his crossed arms. "You haven't been scheming with them, have you? I know you've always had an issue with keeping your nose out of other people's business."

"Me? Scheming? I'd never! Not against you, anyways, my dear rival," For just a second, Kakashi wished that the 'rival' had been left out- that Guy would just call him 'my dear' or some other cheesy nickname, that Guy was as in love with the former Anbu as much as the former Anbu was with him. He could only bring himself to sigh as his face began to burn red, grateful that his mask was covering most of his blush. "I had no idea about it until now!"

"Right."

Surprisingly enough, Guy took a step closer, way too far into Kakashi's personal space. The silver-haired man focused on keeping his relaxed posture despite how his heart was beating so fast that it was almost out of his chest.

"What, don't believe me?" The other Jonin questioned, his smile turning into a slight smirk.

"What if I said I don't?"

"Then I'd say I'll do something to make it up to you! Whatever you want!"

"...Take me for drinks?" Kakashi asked, trying not to seem too sheepish or nervous, though he couldn't help it as he uncrossed his arms, moving a hand to nervously scratch the back of his neck. "We could always have a drinking contest."

Thankfully, Guy didn't even hesitate, grabbing the silver-haired man's hand and running- and, for once, Kakashi didn't even tell him to slow down or say that they should just walk like normal members of society.

Instead, he went along with it, oddly content and unaware of the two teenagers who were currently perched in a tree, giggling with excitement as they watched their teachers.