Chapter 33

My feet took me down an unfamiliar trail, the forest floor underneath crunching with every step. It felt like I had walked it by heart. The crisp morning dew clung to forestry around me, giving everything a light, watery sheen. A small mist shrouded the air, making the early air feel cold and wet. In the distance a morning dove called out, it's familiarity grounding me enough pause.

Why was I here again? Where exactly is here? It was then that I realized my mask no loner covered my face. A mask? What mask am I talking about? I've never owned a mask and quite frankly I don't see the reason why I would need to.

I remember now, I have to go feed the ducks before letting them run down to the stream. I take much pride in my ducks, feeding them a proper diet to keep them healthy and their feathers beautiful. I best not be late, I don't want to miss hot breakfast. Though I'd eat my husband's food hot or cold and enjoy it all the same. I just can't bring myself to dislike anything he makes, it's a part of him and the love he holds for me.

I shiver slightly through my sweater and carry on down the path towards the ducks' pen. In the distance a woodpecker sets to work drilling away at a tree. Squirrels nestled warmly together in their hideaways begin to emerge. Crickets play their songs in the bushes. Spring has just arrived and already life has returned to the forest. Soon the hibernating bears will wake up and the wolves will have new pups to raise.

As I reach the ducks' pen I can hear them already up and about, quacking and ruffling their feathers. Their chatter grows louder as I approach, a feed bin in one hand and a bucket of water in the other. I open the pen careful not to let the ducks out as I greet them goodmorning with a smile. I set the water bucket down so the ducks can rinse their bills and nostrils and pour the feed mix into their bowls.

As they feed I carefully observe each one for any sign on injury or sickness. Satisfied with the check over and waiting till the ducks finish feeding, I open the pen's door to let them free roam the property. The ducks go about their usual routine, heading further down the path to the stream as they forage the trail.

I pick up the bowls and rinse them out before leaving, closing the pen behind me and opening the small doggy door on the side so the ducks could come and go. I huff and walk back up the trail towards our small home. It was a cozy homestead, with just enough space for my husband, myself, our cat, and dog. It sat on 7 acres of land and forest, the town just some miles down the road. We grew nearly everything we needed here, of course still took trips into town to get bare necessities and such.

I glanced up towards the sky through the thicket of trees. It looked dark and grayish, unusual for the time of morning it was. I sniffed the air a bit to confirm my suspicions, it would likely be raining nearly all day. I smiled a bit relieved, I hadn't felt like doing much today and now we could stay indoors and lounge.

Reaching the entrance to the home, our saint Bernard lifted his head off the porch. He wagged his tail as he saw me, getting up to follow me inside.

I gave him a pat on his head, greeting him, "Hey Frenchtoast, how we doin'?"

Opening the door I was hit with a sweet and savory aroma. I could hear faint grilling and soft humming coming from inside. Smiling, I step inside and close the door after Frenchtoast, who promptly makes his way over to the kitchen.

I follow after the old dog and pause once I reach the kitchen. It was like something straight out of a romance novel. The table was set neatly, a beautiful vase in the middle with Lilly of the Vallies, plates with homemade waffles topped with whipped cream and berries. On the side, breakfast bagel sandwiches with smoked salmon, a platter of fruit beside the vase, and tall glasses of fresh juice to accompany it all.