“Already the princess she knows herself to be. I like it.” Raphael snickers as I walk slowly past Caden. I whisper just loud enough for him to hear.

“I’ll be fine.” Caden grits his teeth, but he nods reassured by my courage.

The cave-like dungeon disappears as we move up into opulent hallways designed in Victorian architecture. Finally, Damon opens a door and shoves me into an empty sitting room.

“Stay here. And don’t try any funny business.”

I run for the door but he slams and locks before I can reach it. 

Damn it! How do I get out of this? I can’t even find Koda, and Caden is locked up.

In my anguish, my fist flies out and hits a nearby vase. It crashes to the ground. When a few petals land on me though, I could feel my eyes flame bright green. A surge of energy travels up my arm. Holding my breath, I bend down and slowly press my hand into the tangle of flowers. The petals on my palm instantly spark my skin and it’s as though vines rope around every muscle. I feel my senses sharpen and some strength return. I reach for the flower again, but a noise behind me stops me dead in my tracks. 

I grab a fireplace poker and brandish it with two hands, ready to attack

“Try anything and you’ll be worse than sorry.”

“Arabella?” With a sniffle, Koda steps out from his hiding place making me drop my weapon.

“Koda, oh my god!” I sink to my knees and Koda runs to me, flinging his arms around me and burying his head in my shoulder.

“Arabella!!” Koda breaks down and sobs, clutching my clothes.

“I want to go home so bad! Please, I want my dads.”

“Koda. Are you hurt at all?”

“N…no. But I’m really scared, Arabella.”

“I know you are buddy. We’re going to get you out of here.” Koda cries harder, his tears soaking my shoulder. Suddenly the door opens and my supposedly father walks through it.

“How am I supposed to get anything done with all this incessant whining?” Raphael slams the door and Koda flinches, his whole body gripped with fear as he sobs.

“Get that boy to be quiet, will you? I hate to be interrupted.” I can see it in Raphael’s eyes that he’s serious and a chill runs down my spine. “Now Arabella.” He commands.

“It’s okay. Koda. It’s all going to be okay.” I take the young boy in my arms, cradling him close to my chest.

“You’re going to see your parents very soon.” I assure him.

“Y—you promise?”

“Yes. And you know what? Their love can protect you even from far away.” I say as I rock him gently, stroking his hair.

“Do you feel it?” 

“Y—yeah I feel it.” Slowly, Koda nods and starts to calm down, his heartbeat matching my own.

“Good.” I comb my fingers through his hair while I glare at Raphael.

“Good job Arabella. You have a way with children it seems. That will help you when you bare Damon heirs and further my line.”

“You are the last person to talk about being a parent.” I seethe.

“I know I’ve been a bit…absent. But that’s no way to talk to your father.”

“You are not my father. You lost that right when you decided I wasn’t good enough for you.” Raphael sighs, massaging his forehead.

“You really were raised with no manners. But that’s alright. By the time we’re done here, you and that ‘mate’ of yours will be much better behaved.” With that, the door opens again reveling Damon dragging Caden into the room, fighting with all his might.