#4

Koko steps out of the carraige. And after fixing the hood of my cloak over my head, I scoot to the edge of my seat to view the town. I haven't been out in so long, I'd say it's been half a year since I have. My lips twitched up in an uncontrollable grin.

Koko turns around to me and holds his hand out, I feel my cheeks heat. Hoping he doesn't notice, I take his hand, and he helps me down from the carraige.

"Thank you for bringing me out here today." I smile at him and return my gaze back to the town. We started walking through, and I started observing all the familiar surroundings and the people traveling about.

The stone paved street was full of people. Small markets for food and clothing were all over the place, just as I remembered. But...those markets are barely getting business. My heart began to weigh heavy, knowing that my people have so little that they can not afford to pay for life's joy's. How did this even happen?

How on earth is Kokonoi not able to make a profit like normal? Why are traders and merchants not requesting to trade all of a sudden and refusing all letters? Why is it that every letter Koko sends out, it's like he's speaking to ghosts? Or from what I've heard from Koko that when he gets a response, he believes that their lying to him.

"Something on your mind?"

Koko's voice brought me out of my trance state of thought, "Too much."

"That's why we're here," his lip twitches up. "Apparently, the festival of lights is taking place tonight. Have you ever been? They have a huge fire in the middle of town square where everyone dances to music and light lanterns to let them fly into the sky."

"No, I have never been. That sounds like so much fun!" I ball my fists in excitement.

"The celebration happens every year," Koko was cut off by the sudden loud laughter of children coming toward us. Two little girls ran without a care in the world, and Koko and I swiftly step apart from each other to make a path for them. I giggle at them and their adorable faces. Their eye's glimmering and not run down by the current state of their home.

I want to keep it that way.

Koko grunts, "I lost my train of thought."

I snicker at him, "You were telling me about the festival. How it happens every year."

"Ah yes," Koko claps his hands. "Every year, always at sundown. But I actually thought I would be canceled this time due to lack of money, I wonder why it's not."

"You can't take away fun and hope from people. What has happened is not nearly enough to break everyone's spirits," I smiled and met his gaze that was already on me. "That's why."

Koko didn't say anything for a moment. He just stared at me with big eyes. Then he grinned, "Are you hungry? I know a good venders spot to eat."

□●□

We stood in a short line waiting to buy food, but while Kokonoi had his attention elsewhere, I heard a small commotion and the clopping of hooves. Without thinking, I left his side to see what the buzz was about, toward the small crowd that gathered. Gently, I made my way through, shifting my body between the people.

I got to the front, and the scene made my lips tug up. In the open area where a small water fountain lay in the middle, three horses trotted around it. Their large majestic body's drawing people's attention, hair flowing in the wind, freshly groomed to be shown off to everyone.

The rider's of the horse's all carried their heads high - well - two of them did. The third? She had her head down and fixated on the horse and nothing else. She had long strawberry blonde hair, tied in a low pony tail, and she wore a black riding helmet with typical riding gear.