04 Ψ⚡︎

ΨΨΨ

Mrs. Dodds is an ugly overgrown bat

ΨΨΨ

We went after Mrs. Dodds.

Halfway up the steps, we glanced back at Grover. He was looking pale, cutting his eyes between me and Mr. Brunner, like he wanted Mr. Brunner to notice what was going on, but Mr. Brunner was absorbed in his novel.

We looked back up. Mrs. Dodds had disappeared again. She was now inside the building, at the end of the entrance hall.

How could she walk that fast without making sounds? It was getting more suspicious. Like Mr. Brunner, she's been eyeing us ever since she arrived at Yancy.

Okay, I thought. She's going to make us buy a new shirt for Nancy at the gift shop.

But apparently that wasn't the plan.

We followed her deeper into the museum. When we finally caught up to her, we were back in the Greek and Roman section.

Except for us, the gallery was empty.

Mrs. Dodds stood with her arms crossed in front of a big marble frieze of the Greek gods. She was making this weird noise in her throat, like growling. Why she's doing that?

"You've been giving us problems, honey," she said.

Percy did the safe thing. he said, "Yes, ma'am."

She tugged on the cuffs of her leather jacket. "Did you really think you two would get away with it?"

The look in her eyes was beyond mad. It was evil. I know that something is going to happen. 

If Percy think that a teacher wouldn't hurt a student, then it was not for me given that I grew up in Red Room. My danger sense kept alarming and my nerves became tense. I was preparing if something bad happens.

Percy said, "We'll—We'll try harder, ma'am."

Thunder shook the building.

"We are not fools, Percy Jackson and Mariana Jackson," Mrs. Dodds said. "It was only a matter of time before we found you out. Confess, and you will suffer less pain."

I didn't know what she was talking about. Glancing at Percy's expression, he was also clueless.

All I could think of was that the teachers must've found the illegal stash of candy Percy's been selling out of his dorm room. Or maybe they'd realized we got our essay on Tom Sawyer from the Internet without ever reading the book and now they were going to take away our grade. Or worse, they were going to make us read the book. Or worse than reading a book, she's going to hurt us because she can't take it anymore.

"Well?" she demanded.

"Ma'am, We don't..." Percy kept answering her while I stay vigilant in case she did something wrong.

"Your time is up," she hissed.

Then the weirdest thing happened. Her eyes began to glow like barbecue coals. Her fingers stretched, turning into talons. Her jacket melted into large, leathery wings.

She wasn't human, Grover was right. She was a shriveled hag with bat wings and claws and a mouth full of yellow fangs, and she was about to slice us to ribbons.

I looked at her in shocked. Mrs. Dodds is an overgrown ugly bat. 

Oh we're done. I was trained to assassinate humans, I wasn't trained for this. I didn't even have a weapon in hand.