2. Kartik

I wait in the conference room with the contract in front of me. My fingers tap against the glass conference table as I wait for Naksh Singhania to arrive. I straighten my tie and smooth out the new white shirt I changed into. My mind drifts off to the dangerous woman from the cafe. Before the familiar feeling of anger rises inside me again, I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

I open my eyes right as the conference room door opens. My assistant, Inaya, pops her head in.

"If you're ready sir."

I nod and stand up. Inaya holds the door open and my legs almost give out as I notice the woman entering the room. She freezes right in the doorway when her eyes land on me. Her mouth falls open slightly as her eyes widen. Inaya looks from me to her.

"Umm sir, is everything alright?"

"What is she doing here? Inaya, I don't have time for this nonsense. You know I have an important meeting with the Singhanias right now." I grit my teeth while still looking at the woman in the doorway. Her face which was initially shocked now turns emotionless in a split second. Her lips form into a tight, fake smile as she enters the room. She holds out her hand.

"Hello, I'm here to represent Singhania Diamonds."

I stare at her outstretched hand blankly.

"I'm supposed to be meeting with N. Singhania. Last time I checked, you aren't Naksh Singhania."

Inaya scrambles inside the room.

"Sir, this is-"

Coffee woman cuts Inaya off in the middle of her sentence. "How very observant of you. You're right, I'm not Naksh Singhania. Your misogynistic mindset of assuming the CEO would be a man only adds to your trashy human personality. You really are Lucifer in a suit."

Inaya's mouth drops open, as my breathing intensifies and my jaw hurts from clenching so tight.

"My name is Naira Singhania, acting CEO of Singhania Diamonds and I hereby sever all pending contracts with Goenka Jewelers."

She exits the room with long, swift strides, leaving me speechless for the second time this morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pace back and forth in my office, fuming. What the hell was going on?

"Inaya!"

My assistant walks into my office.

"What was that? Why'd you let her into this building? And where is N. Singhania?"

Inaya keeps her calm posture as she speaks. "Sir, she is N. Singhania."

I freeze in my tracks. N. Singhania. Naira Singhania. Naksh Singhania's sister and Naitik Singhania's youngest daughter.

Shit.

"Well, why didn't you tell me it was going to be her?!" My voice raises higher than it should. I never raise my voice, so even this surprises me.

Inaya doesn't flinch. "Sir, you shouldn't be raising your voice. Please have a seat and I'll send in some water. I assumed you already knew since you research all your clients before any meetings."

I let out a frustrated breath and loosen my tie. It was suddenly so hot in here.

"I'm sorry Inaya. Please get me that water."

She leaves and I slump down onto my chair. This merger was very important. And now it was gone. I don't know how the company would recover after this. Not only would it hurt us financially, but it would also ruin our reputation. If word got out that the Singhania Group didn't want to have any connections with us, we would essentially be blacklisted.

As if my life wasn't already in shambles, a hurricane named Naira Singhania entered and destroyed what was left to bits and pieces.