Chapter 3: Stuck With You

Rouge fluttered her eyes open as she looked around and saw it was night, before she let out a small yelp.

"Oh no... I fell asleep!" Rouge said.

"Yeah... some trustworthy bat you are..." She heard Knuckles mutter out loud.

Rouge motioned her head to face the red echidna. She huffed, how dare he?

"Well it's not my fault you asked a nocturnal creature to help you watch over your precious gem..." Rouge replied, crossing her arms.

Knuckles groaned. "Please... I've seen you roam around during the day before," He huffed out. "Besides... it does get a little lonely up here, I'll admit.." He confessed.

Rouge did a double take and nearly fell from where she was sitting up at, blushing while doing so.

"What on earth are you doing?!" Knuckles asked, raising an eyebrow of the jewel thief's antics.

Rouge covered her face with her gloved hands, "Uh.... nothing!" She declared.

"Hmmm.... not sure if I should believe you..." Knuckles said, eyeing her suspiciously. "Here, let me help you up," He said, extending out his hand. Rouge grabbed it, trying to regain her composure.

"I'm just surprised you admit to be lonely here, especially since you all have here is a rock..." Rouge started.

"Well it's not all that bad... I've got this horses shaped rock over there named Rocky, and uh, I've made friends with a few bugs... and...." Knuckles' voice trailed off, knowing that Rouge was right.

Rouge only giggled as she listened to him. Knuckles turned to her and furrowed his eyes together.

"Hmph. Well I guess you're right." Knuckles groaned as he sat up. Rouge doing the same.

Knuckles laid down, and soon followed Rouge. Rouge smiled as she did so and decided to mess with him a little.

Knuckles turned his head to face her, and soon followed Rouge. Knuckles raised an eyebrow, and so did Rouge. Knuckles was starting to get a little annoyed, and decided to get up. Rouge followed suit.

"WILL YOU STOP THAT?!" Knuckles exclaimed, a red tick mark appearing on to his face.

"Hmm... Well, I do enjoy some mindless entertainment, Knucklehead!" Rouge replied, smirking as she gave the red echidna a small wink.

"Well, stop! It's getting on my nerves!" Knuckles exclaimed back, earning a giggle from Rouge. "What's so funny?"

"You!" Rouge said, pointing at Knuckles.

"Me?!" Knuckles repeated. "What?!"

"It's so funny messing with you, Knuckles," Rouge replied with a small smile.

Knuckles didn't reply, and only crossed his arms, a small, unnoticeable smile crept up on his face.

"Heh. I don't normally have this much fun up here on the island," Knuckles confessed. "This is a surprising change,"

Rouge blushed a bit. When was the last time she had this much fun? Although she loved Team Dark, the day of Shadow being fun and silly would be the end of the world, and Omega was well, Omega. There was Amy, but the pink hedgehog was far too enamored with Sonic, so she just decided to leave her be. The only time she ever had fun was when she was admittedly with Knuckles. Who else would also treasure hunt with her? She smiled fondly at Knuckles, who did not see her smile at him.

-----------

Little did Rouge or Knuckles know, is that there was going to be mischief afoot. Fang the Sniper was plotting something. He was currently in a dark alleyway with Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear.