The Princess has never met Edward Seymour and was only in his company briefly the previous evening. None of the time together was alone. So is it fair for her to assume the man is standoffish and frigid? Perhaps it's a matter of opinion after all.

And while Mary can hardly fathom that in less time it takes for the evening to dawn, she'll be a married woman. Her Highness reached several conclusions. Sparkle embellishment isn't such a bad idea. Likewise, pockets in dresses should be a right, not a privilege, and Wolf Hall isn't a place of banishment as she believed prior. Furthermore, having a sister could be an excellent experience, and maybe time and effort spent on her husband might unravel a few of his sturdy seams. No one is indeed what they appear. Time, work, and interaction should slowly unveil the reality.

As the Princess felt better about her situation and moved to dress for the day in a room across the manor, the Duke of Somerset drank a mint tincture prepared by the town's physician. Mint soothes the stomach, and the doctor has told him on more than one occasion that his stomach is irritable due to all his stress. The gangly old physician has been surprised His Grace isn't erupting stomach ulcers by the week. Edward would like to see how the man fares with all the duties running a province entails and add to those marrying His Majesty's daughter. Then let him mock a man tied up in constant knots.

Life is hard. And currently, fate is a crafty minx. She builds up her pursuits as gradually as a fox digs its den; and with the same kind of thoughtless trifles. Now fate has sung her siren song and captured him in her impromptu web. If Edward weren't a bundle of nerves, he might consider himself like a possum with a sweet potato. Instead, he's pulled tighter than the string of a bow.

Ever since the return from London, it's been nothing but a constant review of security measures. The King makes a decision and gives no thought to how it's carried out. He's heedless of those picking up that slack because he knows people will put any plan into place. The man never worries except for the lack of a son, which seems to plague every person--- common and regal alike.

So it's His Majesty's folly and orders that prompted Edward to assess Somerset's protective defenses and his household guards. From sunrise to sunset, the safety of his betrothed has been at the forefront of his mind. It would not do to have his new wife, the King's daughter, harmed within his home or province. And that could not be more true considering the Boleyns are neighboring nobles. Also, with the Howards running amuck, anything is possible.

Preparations were made, and evaluations were conducted. As much as the Duke would have liked to be there to welcome his bride, duty called. He answered by appraising the measures along Somerset's borders and at Wolf Hall. Unfortunately, that meant a tongue-lashing from Dollie, who told him, "It is a shame and a dereliction of commitment to Princess Mary. She'll think you aren't interested and find fault with her."

Edward buttoned the brass buttons on the brocade overcoat and snorted. "How can I find fault with someone I've never met? As for interest, I'm not interested, but I am curious about the woman I'll spend my life with. There's a difference."

Dollie shook her head. Her brown hair bounced as she did so while reprimanding, "Edward, you speak as if you have no intention of even trying to make a go of things. Don't you want to attempt to be at least happy?"

That word happy made him want to throw something. Edward wishes people would understand that he is happy when they leave him alone--- to his books, thoughts, and writings. Could his life be more pleasant? He doesn't give much breath to that desire, especially regarding women. Most females stay away from him as it is thinking him indifferent to their attentions and affections. The whole thing is fine because he'd rather be alone than amused by some giddy strumpet looking for a wealthy husband.