1. I Guess We'll Call it a Job Interview

Start from the beginning

The annoyed look on his face made you chuckle. Quickly you hunched back into your own space. You kicked your feet up on the seat in front of you and buckled in. "Put your feet down, who knows what kind of germs you've tracked in." Overhaul said.

"Sure thing, boss." You did as he asked and leaned up against the window to look out at the street lights. You put in your earbuds and turned on some rap music.

A gloved hand brushed against your ear, causing a shiver to go down your spine. Then he plucked the earbud out of your ear and tossed it onto the seat. "I assume Chrono told you your exact job description?'

"Yes he did sir, I'm all caught up." You grinned from underneath your mask.

"Good, I hope you also know that you can't take any more jobs while you work for me. I can't have you running around and causing havoc that might mess up my plans."

"As long as you're paying me enough, I won't have to resort to anything like that."

"You will be. By the way, here's your advance." He set down an envelope and slid it across the seat.

You grabbed it and tore open the paper. The wad of bills were counted and tucked into your pocket before he would even have a chance to take it back. "You got my attention, Mr. Overhaul. As long as these keep coming, I'm yours." You said with an audible smile.

"That's what I want to hear." He flicked the earbud he had previously removed back into your lap. "It's a long ride, get comfortable."

The car drove along the city streets for nearly an hour before Chrono pulled up to a traditional Japanese estate. "Oooh, fancy!" you exclaimed before bouncing out of the car. "Where's my room? Where is it?"

"Show him, Kurono." Overhaul said.

For some reason the use of the word him bothered you. Quickly you buried the thought and ran up to the building through the beautifully arranged Japanese garden. Most of the plants were dead and covered with a frosty layer from last night's snow, except for a large camellia bush by the door. It was covered in clusters of pink buds. It made you stop and appreciate its beauty for a moment before the two men came up behind you.

"Something wrong?" Kurono asked.

"No, all good here!" You jumped inside when the door was opened and entered the warm indoors. Overhaul gave you an odd look and stopped for a moment by the door before entering. You were too busy bouncing off the walls to notice him.

"This way, Mokusei." Kurono said, pointing off down the hall.

Overhaul followed a bit behind. "Weird" you thought he had just wanted Kurono to accompany you. Kurono didn't seem to think anything of it. "We had a... difficult time finding out more about you." Kurono said. "If you'd clear up some things for me I'd be greatful. How old are you?"

"Eighteen." You said automatically, although your true age was somewhere closer to twenty two.

"Parents?"

"Killed when I was little." You replied with no emotion. You kept peeking around corners to see what kind of people inhabited this place. Kurono stopped in front of a small alcove that opened soon after into a hidden passage that went down underground.

The thought of being stuck down there made shivers run down your spine. You were used to open, urban areas that you could move around freely, not a cave. The passage opened up and you realized you were in a vast underground compound. You didn't know how they could have kept something like it secret all this time, but here it was. There were several thugs wandering about. Once or twice you saw someone with a plague mask, it reminded you of the time you first met the young Hassaikai leader.

"What's up with the plague masks, and do I get one?" You blurted out.

"There is one in your room." Kurono said.

Chisaki had been silent for quite a while now, you noticed he was fiddling with something in his pocket. Despite your relaxed demeanor you were on your guard for any sign of hostility. At last you stopped in front of a door, Kurono opened it for you and ushered you in. There wasn't much in there, just a bed, dresser, mini fridge and a door leading to a full bathroom. But it was warm and all together more comfortable than your usual abode.

On the bed lay a peculiar outfit. A plain black shirt and pants with a long cloak of tattered burgundy. Laying on top of the outfit, was a plague mask just like he had said. It was black and burgundy and covered the entire face.

"We were aware you like to keep your face hidden at all times." Kurono said. "Does it suit you?" You picked up the mask and held it carefully in your hands. The material was softer than you had imagined and it felt good against your fingertips.

"I can work with this." You said.

Kurono nodded. "Welcome, Ninth bullet of the Shie Hassaikai, Mokusei."

Overhaul stayed for a moment longer, leaning his hand against the top of your bedside table. He inspected you with his golden eyes as if he was trying to put together a puzzle.

"We have work to do in the morning." He said before turning around and leaving.

The door closed behind him and you were left alone in the strange concrete room. A bit of color caught your eye and you walked to your bedside table. On it lay a single camellia blossom, freshly plucked. You knew immediately it was from the bush outside the front door.