Chapter 6 - A leap of faith

Jessie knocked on the door of the church building, balancing Josh on her hip. She couldn't believe she'd had to ask directions to get here. Maybe there were aspects of her tiny world that she still had to explore. This situation didn't exactly trigger her adventurous side though.

She hadn't been brought up to believe anything good about church or the people who gathered there. Her mother was raised by extremely conservative, church-going parents who saw sin and fault in everything. There was no right way that wasn't their way. Or at least that's what Jessie had been told. She'd never met her grandparents.

Their daughter falling pregnant before she married was apparently too much shame for their stiff upper lips. After her mother had been forced into a hasty marriage, Jessie's grandparents disappeared. All they left behind for Jessie to know them by was the mess that was her parent's marriage.

Jessie hated these stranger-relatives even more than she hated her absentee father. She hated him for his misplaced anger and drunken weakness, but even those traits were easier to forgive than arrogant pride. Maybe she would get around to that forgiveness some day. Today was just not that day.

When no one answered from inside the offensive building, Jessie hesitantly opened the door. Behind a small desk in the cosy-looking reception room sat an elderly lady with a warm, welcoming smile.

Of course she looks friendly, Jessie thought to herself. That's how they suck you in before they start yelling at you about eternal condemnation and the fiery pits of hell.

"Hi, I just came to find out about your Computer Skills course. Is there a brochure that I could take away and read?"

"We don't have any pamphlets left, but I can send you directly to the source," the woman said. "The young lady who runs the course just arrived and is setting up in the computer centre. If you follow me, I'll take you through."

As the elderly woman led the way, Jessie took in her appearance. Her clothing was outdated and could be as old as she was. Jessie felt as though she had landed in a period movie with the way this woman spoke and dressed. Who used endearments like young lady anymore? Jessie mentally braced herself for her introduction to the young lady in question. Maybe she would have a British accent and Victorian dress to add to the effect.

"I'm so sorry. I can hear the phone ringing at my desk. Do you mind going the rest of the way yourself? Just to the end of the hall and then left."

"Um, sure."

The woman turned and headed back to her desk in a hurry.

Readjusting Josh's position on her hip, Jessie kissed his forehead and forged on. She entered what could only be the computer centre, and found herself staring into the brown eyes of a girl who looked more like a punk pixie than a Victorian duchess.

"Hi," she said, a slight smile on her face.

"Hi," was all that Jessie managed to get out as she took in the short, wild hairdo and mismatching clothing of the girl standing across from her. Jessie had seen her before at the restaurant with the other Americans, but in that context her appearance hadn't had the same impact. This girl looked more out of place here than Jessie felt, and that was saying a lot.

"Can I help you?" the girl asked, still looking amused.

"Um, I was just looking... To speak to someone about... The computer course. Um, yes. That's all," Jessie blurted, stumbling over her words.

"Well, you came to the right place. I'm Lauren," the girl said, extending her hand.

"I'm Jessie," she replied, shaking Lauren's hand.

"And the little guy clinging to you for dear life?"

"This is Josh," Jessie added dumbly.

Josh attempted to bury himself in Jessie's hair as the pixie girl tried to get a look at his face.

"He's shy."

"It looks like he's not the only one," Lauren said, allowing the small smile on her face to become a full-blown grin.

"Sorry, I'm not usually this... Well, you know...speechless. You just aren't what I was... expecting."

"That's okay. My family gives me grief for talking too much and too fast so we're probably a good pair. Are you interested in starting with us?"

"Yes."

Lauren smiled warmly at her.

"Okay, well, we start this week Thursday. Lectures, if that's what you want to call them, are once a week.

"It's a full morning from nine until twelve. We start off with a Bible study and then go into the training. It's twelve weeks long and works on a donation basis. We write a test every session and if you master all the skills, you receive an internationally recognised certificate qualification.

"After this we run the intermediate and advanced courses which better qualify you for office work."

Jessie tried to absorb it all. She did talk fast.

"We also run a childcare centre from the church, so they can look after Josh while you're busy."

"Wow," was all that Jessie said as her mind ran ahead, planning how she was going to juggle her shifts to work this in. The fact that Josh would be taken care of made things a lot easier.

"So, will I see you on Thursday?" Lauren asked after a considerable silence.

"Okay," Jessie said and started to walk out. She thought she heard a chuckle from behind her, but was too preoccupied to be sure.

Could it be that easy?

When things hadn't worked out with the business school, she felt disappointed but the setback hadn't surprised her. That's how her life went. Things never went smoothly.

Had she missed something in that conversation?

Could things actually work out this time?